I love Thanksgiving. It is a relatively low key celebration with delicious food. I can definitely embrace a holiday where I don't have to do anything but cook and eat fabulous food! And this year we really took the bull by the horns and set our own terms for Thanksgiving...but I'm getting ahead of myself.
It all started with a blizzard that never happened. But the mere thought of the potential blizzard sent me into a packing frenzy and we left on Tuesday instead of Wednesday. Turned out to be one of the best parts of the trip...a heavenly night at Abby's house in Vegas. Oh how I adore the McCoys! Thank you for fabulous accomodations.
Wednesday morning we played at the McCoys for a bit and then hit the road. While driving through CA, Chris and I were seized by the urge to actually pull off the highway and see what this Calico Ghost Town was all about. We drive by it every time we travel to LA or San Diego and EVERY TIME we have a conversation about what it is and whether it would really be worth pulling off the highway to see...so this time we decided enough was enough...no more talk. It was time to go exploring!
(Cue music of Mo singing "Anyone for exploring"...)
And what do you know? It was such great fun! A real life silver mining town from the late 1800's complete with shops, mines, a school/church, and lots of old, old stuff. We spent a couple hours exploring and had a wonderful time!
Anyone remember the Devo song from the 80's about working in the coal mine? The song was stuck in my head the whole time...and yes, HB is wearing pink poodle pajamas.
Matthew couldn't stop trying to "mine".
So this year we went completely radical and abandoned the "real" Thanksgiving Day in favor of a day playing at Legoland. The Davies came with us and it was perfectly perfect!
Who knew you could make so many things out of Lego? It was really amazing.
Now I have to admit that I really was expecting the park to be very quiet...after all, it was Thanksgiving...and who gives up turkey for Legoland? Apparently all the Asians, people from India, Jehovah Witnesses and Carrs. It was not empty.
Spent some time in the Lego Store where I watched a man pay $300.00 for the Taj Mahal Lego set. It was awesome and I would have handed over the money in a minute for it if I didn't mind seeing my children not eat for a month.
Friday was declared our official Thanksgiving Day. We stayed at the Davies brand new house in San Diego and it was BEAUTIFUL! Courtney has earned sainthood for her willingness to move into a new house one weekend and then a week later host her family for Thanksgiving. It was so lovely and delicious.
A little disturbing when right before dinner the 2 little girls came down in leotards stuffed with foam breasts. I didn't ask whose idea it was. I didn't want to know.
Oscarson tradition to take a picture of delicious food. It was absolutely scrumptious!
I could've sat at the table all day eating. Next year I'm going to eat Thanksgiving dinner in a lounge chair so I can stuff myself, then recline to nap and digest, then sit back up for more feasting, napping, feasting, etc. Brilliant plan if you ask me!
After dinner, we held the traditional "Carr Family Thanksgiving Day" talent show. It is always filled with a myriad of talent...head stands, piano solos, ballet dancing, and a fabulous Carr version of the 12 Days of Christmas that included 2 awkward dates, some ballerinas, a few Ninjas, 5 gold engagement rings, and exotic cars.
On Saturday, I woke up and had a 6 year old. My "baby" is so big and I love her dearly. She is beautiful inside and out and makes me happy, happy, happy. She is smart and fun and creative and sweet and perfectly perfect. She is such a blessing in my life.
Oh, just side note. This is the house on Coronado Island in San Diego that I asked Santa for. Isn't it a gem? I've been so good this year that I'm sure I'll get it.
We spent the better part of the day on the beach in Coronado playing at the foot of the majestic Del Coronado Hotel. It was beautiful.
We watched a pod of dolphins playing in the water...it was breathtaking!
After the beach we drove to Old Town San Diego and visited the new Mormon Battalion Visitor's Center. It was AWESOME! AWESOME!!!! Did you know the Mormon church had a Disneyland ride to rival Pirate's of the Carribean? Really, it was that cool. Talking pictures on the wall (think Hogwarts), an Iowa campground, a general store in Kansas, and a Santa Fe desert where we were about run over by a herd of stampeding buffalo. It was incredible! Afterwards we wandered outside for a little panning for gold.
Courtney and I took the girls to go see the movie "Tangled" and then we headed back to the Davies' home in time to see the big spot on the ceiling where water was leaking through because the bathroom upstairs was flooding. Nothing like a flood in a new home to make your stress level go through the roof. AND it was the bathroom our family was using...makes you want to invite us right over doesn't it?
We did end the day with cake that Chris decorated...what this man can do with a Ziploc bag of frosting and some candy.
I will choose to skip the account of the drive home where there really was a blizzard this time and it took us an eternity to drive from St. George to our house. It was a nightmare.
It was the best of times! Thank you Davies family for hosting another smashing event...and for your enormous patience is having us. Thank you Emily for the Littlest Pet Shop gift that has brightened Hannah's whole world. Thank you for Legoland and the beach and dolphins and the Mormon Battilion experience that both humbled and strengthened my testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
I am so grateful.
6 comments:
I like the beard Chris is sporting!
What a wonderful vacation (except for the blizzard part, I guess). You guys always have the best family vacations, going off the beaten path, hitting the best places for adventure, and spending lots of time with family. It sounds just perfectly perfect!
I miss you! Did you have a good birthday, too??
Yes! I have been waiting and waiting for a good Thanksgiving post from you! That was so satisfying. We missed talking to you and Hannah on your birthdays--can we skype soon? I'm so glad you had such a great vacation and I am so grateful you got home safely!
Your vacation sounds dreamy!! I would even love being stuck in a blizzard with your family because they are fun fun fun!! And I would have eaten the wings off of that fairy in a second and I want you to be my Mom and dress me and do my hair. (which now that I have said that outloud I am recalling you actually doing my hair when I was little and you can do anything on me but braids...they were too tight.)
Uh, yeah on the birthday thing...how are we supposed to wish you a happy birthday if you don't answer your phone? I will be stalking you on skype. Watch your back.
Gorgeous house, the one you want and the one you stayed in. I love the "Hotel Del" and will sleep in it one day. I love the ghost town and what a cake! Bravo!
OK. First time since we've been in Guatemala that I have actually cried over missing my family. Thanks, Amy. No, really, thank you for the wonderful post. I am glad you all had a wonderful time. Your post made me feel like I could share a little of it with you. Next year Thanksgiving in Central America? I don't know about ghost towns, but we do have tons of Mayan ruins complete with pyramids, temples and screeching monkeys.
Post a Comment