Some of the things I love about our school are:
My kindergartener's new favorite hero. Do you know who is? What American iconic item is named after him? My children's charter school is an official Core Knowledge visitation site...a prestigious and unique honor. Not very many schools have earned that recognition. It is an AMAZING curriculum that aligns with the Utah State Core Sequence but enhances a child's opportunity to explore these subjects in greater depth.
I've spent most of my life being terrified of math. My kids love math and they are totally "getting" it. Love this program. Just don't ask me what this problem is or how to solve it. (I'm breaking out in a cold sweat just looking at it.)
I want my children not only to learn about science, history, literature, music, art, etc., but I want them to be able to think about it, express their opinions and feelings clearly, to be able to write, create, compose, and have the confidence to do anything and be anything they want. I want them to have a framework to place the ideas and philosophies they learn. I want them to have respect for the world they live in and the many different people they live with. I feel that classically educating children gives them these tools. Core knowledge teaches them the facts and classical education teaches them how to think about those facts. It is a powerful combination to give a child.
There are so many other reasons I could give.
I love literature circles and the written works my children are exposed to. I love the smaller class sizes and higher teacher and instructor ratio per student. We have a phenomenal staff and faculty. They are truly some of the most talented, dedicated educational professionals I have worked with. My children have loved their teachers and they are the constant that keep us coming back year after year. I love our music and art program. I love the high level of parent involvement and input. I love my children’s friends. We truly feel so blessed to be attending this school.
Knowledge is power if you teach a child how to use what they learn. Teach them to think, act, and give them a lifelong thirst for knowledge. I don't want school to be a chore and endless string of useless information. I want school to be a place that excites and ignites them. And I want what they learn to give them a hunger for learning that will last a lifetime. Don’t be afraid to demand the best for your child. Look around in your community, explore the options, and decide what is best for your child. There are so, so many wonderful schools in Utah. Our neighborhood schools and charter schools offer so much to a wide variety children. Find out what they are all about and then enjoy having the choice to choose what is best for your family.



7 comments:
I would come if I could, and not just for the cupcake, either. What a passion you have for educating children in the best possible ways! I am so very grateful for that passion and that you are making educational decisions for my grandchildren. I wish all parents cared that much.
I am so jealous. Our school district is terrible so we're looking at moving into the best one in the area, but it's so expensive there. There is a charter school here but it's nothing like yours. What a wonderful experience they are having. I want their curriculum! I'm so glad you get to be involved in their learning and development. What an inspiring post.
Hello! You didn't even mention the uniforms...dreamy. I would love a school with uniforms, and all that other stuff too.
Yeah. Education is good stuff.
I looked up your school and the Core Knowledge cirriculum. There are a few schools in my area that use it and so maybe we'll try to get the boys in when they're ready!
It is so wonderful that you have a school that fits you so well, and that you and your children love! We are so lucky that our regular public elementary school is so amazing. I couldn't ask for more (Well, maybe smaller class sizes? But it is not actually that bad.) I have good friends whose kids go to the charter school in our area, and they all love it, too. Unfortunately it isn't a good fit for us. I don't love their curriculum. They don't have quite as many opportunities because it is so much smaller. And they are expected to pay a certain amount each year - a few hundred dollars! - It is not mandatory. They call it "My fair share", but it is expected. And the parent involvement is awesome, but I simply can't devote that much time volunteering when I still have two little ones at home. I really am jealous you get to be with your kids at their school so much. I hope that will be me one day!
I miss Odyssey... reading this made me really miss working at such a wonderful school!
I love this post and I love the links. THank you for sharing!!
Post a Comment