Sunday, February 20, 2011

Singing the Winter Blues

In my bedroom sits an old blue desk.


The desk is old and worn. It has 2 rectangular drawers with round, smooth knobs. On the top of the desk is a squiggly, white line that travels around the perimeter of the desktop. I like to imagine that someone had a boring, drab day and felt inspired to liven things up with a little change. They didn’t have money for a long vacation or time to spend on a big elaborate project so they opened that old jar of white paint and painted a design on top of their desk. I found this desk at an old mill that is now an antique shop. And I fell in love with it. There was something comfortable and soothing about the desk. I loved the random white squiggle line and smooth knobs and more than that, I could picture myself sitting at the desk looking out my bedroom window. And here I sit.

 
This is what it looks like outside my window right now.

It is a rather drab day. The sky is gray and it makes the rest of the world look like it is covered in a thin gray layer. The grass is brown. The tree is bare. I love my blue Adirondack chair because it reminds me that warmer, brighter days are coming. It helps keep my sunny perspective when winter starts to feel just long and gray.


I have had a cold and cough for WEEKS now. Or it feels like weeks. No energy, tired, coughing, phlegm, yuck. It could be so much worse and I feel so grateful for good health. But it can make a day seem a little grayer.


Today Jacob is sick. It is Sunday and the doctor’s office is closed which is so unfortunate because I think he has strep throat and we can’t get him antibiotics until tomorrow. He also has strange swelling around his eyes. I don’t know if it is related to his throat or if he is having an allergic reaction to something but he is miserable.


But even in the middle of the gray, we have had lots of happy. In an effort to promote the good will and optimism of a gray winter, I’d like to share some of our happy.


1) Mr. Popper’s Penguins.


Every month my children have to read a book and do a book report. This month Matthew chose to read Mr. Popper’s Penguins and do a diorama of a scene from the book. Doing the diorama ended up involving the whole family because who can resist penguins made out of play dough and a giant refrigerator made from a box? The book is delightful and very old fashioned. We loved reading it and imagining penguins making a nest in an icebox!



2) Fancy Nancy Tea Party


One of Hannah’s friends invited her to attend a Fancy Nancy Tea Party at the library. It was a glorious affair! She dressed herself as fancy as she could manage and then we did a very elegant “heart” hair do. She came home waving her gold trimmed fan and speaking to us with her French accent! Nothing like a little fancy to chase away the gray!





3) Jacob turned 10 years old.


My boy is 10. A decade. No more single digits. Oh how I love my boy! I have felt such a close connection to him since I was pregnant with him. He is so smart. He is silly and genuinely funny. He loves to read and write stories. (He is so talented at both of those things.) He loves his friends and I have watched him this year really striving to be a good friend. He is considerate and very aware of others feelings. He bears his testimony every Fast Sunday and I always get teary eyed as I watch him express his feelings for the principles of the gospel. He understands so much. He is curious and inquisitive. He loves adventures. He is willing to try anything. He is really learning to be a good older brother and I am so proud of the moments I see him caring for and protecting his brother and sister. He loves hamburgers and pizza and Olive Garden. He loves to go to movies. He loves playing soccer and board games. He loves the computer and the Wii. He knows how to tell a good story and not skimp on the details. When I ask him a question, he gives me a good full answer instead of a grunt. I love being with him. I feel honored and blessed that the Lord would entrust such an amazing spirit to my care for a short time. Keep your eye on my boy. He is going to leave a big footprint on this world!




4) Matthew Doing Amazing Flips


In an effort to channel Matthew’s amazing energy, we signed him up for gymnastics. And true to form, he picked it up like a natural. He attends classes twice a week and he amazes me with his fearlessness and athleticism. He flips, swings, bounces, jumps, and astounds me with what he can do!



5) An Evening At The Ballet


Because we love fancy around here, we gussied ourselves up again and attended BYU’s ballet production of “Cinderella”. We had a fabulous gaggle of girls to share the evening with and it was so much fun! We started with heaping bowls of pasta and salad at Brick Oven and then ohhed and ahhed our way through the ballet with all the glitter and sparkles and fluffy tutus. My daughter and my cousin’s daughter could not contain the giggles when the prince presented himself. We were sitting in the second row and I truly could not get the two of them to stop laughing. When I asked what was so funny, Sophie said, “The prince forgot to put his pants on” and Hannah announced, “And he is wearing BALLET SLIPPERS!” which then sent them into another round of giggles. I do have to admit that I always have a somewhat uncomfortable reaction when the men appear in their tights. Those tights are just so unforgiving. And I wasn’t ready to give the 5 year olds a male anatomy lesson in the middle of the ballet.


After the ballet, our 2 little girls took off into the lobby to get some “autographs”. They refused to have the performers sign their programs and presented their bare little arms instead. I’m not sure who had the idea but they ran around until every last dancer had been solicited. Unfortunately, the autographs have gone the way of all good body paint…







6) VALENTINE’S DAY


Jacob and Hannah insisted on homemade valentines this year and they turned out so cute! (Thank you Abby and Family Fun website) We woke up on Valentine’s Day and found that our house had been attacked by Cupid…there were balloons everywhere and pink and red hearts covering every surface. I found a message written on my bathroom mirror and covered with hearts. There were flowers and chocolates and my Valentine even made me 2 CD’s of “somewhat romantic” and “very romantic” music! I was so touched! When was the last time I had a romantic “mix” made for me? I kept calling him all day to tell him how much I loved it…and to giggle at the songs he had chosen. He did SO much to make the day special for me and the kids. He brought fancy balloons home for Hannah after work and took me out to dinner at my favorite Thai restaurant. But my favorite part of the day was lying in bed that night eating chocolates. Chris made the day so amazing with all he did. I felt so loved and adored and grateful for a husband who understands how much the small things mean.









7) Dancing and Reading


And in our house there is always much dancing. Random, spontaneous dancing. But my absolute favorites are the mornings I wake up on my own and wonder why the house is so quiet. I tiptoe out in the family room and find my 3 children curled up on the couches and chairs devouring books. My kind of family! Makes my little heart sing!


Count your blessings name them one by one,


Count your blessings see what God has done,


Count your blessings, name them one by one.


In the process of writing this blog, the sun has peeked out. I see some blue sky and it has made all the gray disappear. Being grateful enables me to see the world in a whole different way.


Go count your blessings…




















2 comments:

mo said...

Now that blog was an even better cure for the Winter Blahs than anything I came up with! I love H's heart hair! I love the penguin diorama! I love what C. did for Valentines Day--what a hubby! I love that giant trampoline and that M. is so fearless. I love that J. is turning into such a great young man. I love that you all love reading so much! I just loved your blog!

PS I am also very uncomfortable with the men's attire in ballet and have the same reaction as the girls everytime--at what point did it become acceptable to not wear pants on the stage? I mean, really?

Emma Jo said...

How in the world did I miss this post? It made me feel all happy and warm inside (which is good because I am actually quite chilly at the moment.) I LOVE your family and I LOVE your ability to recognize all the wonderful, amazing and beautiful things in your life and in the lives of others.
Love you!