Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Things That Make Me Happy












HB takes a a dance class. And it is everything a dance class for a little girl should be. Miss Mindee is a dance teacher who believes in the beauty of each of her dancers. She understands that beauty starts inside and radiates on the outside. Every little girl is a princess in this class. They wear poofy pink skirts and tiaras and pink slippers on their feet. They dance with bubbles and wands and you can always hear giggles and laughing. I want my daughter to feel beautiful and have confidence in herself and the amazing things her body can do. I want her to feel the pure joy of doing something she loves. I love that she is learning amazing technique and skills in a format that is pure fun and happy. I love that she will never wear an inappropriate costume, learn adult dance moves, or dance to music that is crude and degrading. I have seen so many dance "recitals" at different studios here in Utah, especially in Utah County, that turn the innocence of childhood and feminity into something base and distasteful. And I don't understand why parents would allow their daughters to participate in something that flaunts all the wrong things about dancing and being beautiful. I am so grateful to Miss Mindee and her dance room that feels like pure magic. I am grateful that every class celebrates these amazing little girls and the power of their physical and emotional abilities. I love watching HB dance. I love dancing in Miss Mindee's dance room (yes, occasionally I can't resist and come join in the Strawberry Shortcake festivities!)

I have a dancer's heart...

P.S. All of the above photographs were taken by Heather Adams. She can be reached at  heathernadams@gmail.com or check out more of her beautiful work at heatheradamsink.blogspot.com

5 comments:

Emma Jo said...

Please blow some of those pictures up gigantic and put them somewhere because they are gorgeous. I like your thoughts and am grateful that there are establishments like that out there that make being a little girl, everything that it should be.

mo said...

I agree with both of you. What a fun magical activity and what a great philosophy! Besides all that good stuff, HB is about the cutest little ballerina to ever wear a pink fluffy tutu! Love her to pieces!

Suzie Petunia said...

There should be more dance teachers like Miss Mindee!! I LOVE the pictures!!t

Abby said...

Oh my goodness, sign us up! That LOOKS like pure magic! Such a beautiful little girl!

Jessica said...

I LOVE those pictures. YOur HB is so adorable!