Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Live Long and Prosper

Raise you hand if you have ever secretly, or not so secretly, longed to do this:



Oh come now...don't be shy...Sarah? Taylor? Todd? Get those hands up. Well, do I have an adventure for you.

Right here, in our itty, bitty part of the state, we have a space camp mission to rival The Enterprise. JC was invited to a friend's birthday party last winter at this space center and he is HOOKED! OBSESSED! DRIVING ME CRAZY WITH NON STOP TALK ABOUT SPACE MISSIONS! And I let him go...if for no other reason than to buy myself a few hours of peace and quiet from the constant space chatter. But I digress.

Welcome to the Christa McAuliffe Space Center. It is a place of true adventure and wonder. While I am not anywhere near a "trekkie", I have to admit that I am saving my money for a mission of my own. It is a child's dream!

JC attended an overnight space camp with 3 of his best friends this week. Here is how it went down...they all packed themselves a sleeping bag, pillow, toothbrush and some clean underwear and showed up at the space center where they were ushered into a large gym and given their instructions and assignments for the night. There are several ships they can be assigned to and then each person chooses which job they want to do aboard the ship. JC was assigned to the Voyager and received the assignment as Right Wing Officer. They board their ships using a real transporter and find their stations. The ships are AMAZING!
HB entering the transporter to the Voyager.

The boys coming OUT of the transporter aboard the ship.

JC and his friend's stations aboard the Voyager. Each person has a laptop where they perform their "duties" and respond to the situations they are given...that affect the entire crew and ship.

Another look at one of the consoles on the ship.

Looking forward at the big screen in front that shows the overall picture and what is happening where.

The boys chilling in the captain's chair in the middle of the ship.

My darling friend up in the captain's lounge.

MC making the climb up into the captain's lounge.

HB and MC chilling on the captain's couch. This is the job I would want...not because I want to be responsible for an entire crew's lives and livelihood but because I want the lounge, couch, and comfy bed.

Live long and prosper my little trekkies.

This is a look into another ship at the space center called the Magellan.

Each ship is assigned a space mission. Outside each ship is a "control" room where every job is being monitored and "responded" to. So the whole thing is happening in live time and every decision the kids make on board is immediately played out. It is an incredible learning experience. Not only are they being asked to apply what they know about science, astronomy, and space, but more importantly, they are learning how to work as a team, how their actions can affect those around them, how the decisions they make can have positive or negative consequences, problem solving, learning how to make and implement decisions, learning how to trust their instincts and each other, leadership skill...I could go on and on (maybe I already have). Not only is the space center a technological marvel, but the experience is truly life changing.

So,  next time you're in town, come on over. We'll take a little trip to the moon.

7 comments:

mo said...

That is so very very cool! Who knew right there in Utah?

Emma Jo said...

Seriously so awesome...almost as cool as the time that I spent the night near an enormous heart in a science museum for girl scouts. I want that silver bean bag chair. What cute kiddos...just promise me you'll put a stop to it when they get into dressing up and attending conventions.

Emma Jo said...

...not that there's anything wrong with that...

Laura said...

A couple in our ward had the husband's "birthday party" at the CMSC! Forget the kiddos--they were SO EXCITED!!

Suzie Petunia said...

I'm raising my hand! Where do Taylor and I sign up?

Abby said...

Never-ending cool activities. In fact I came here to look at that post where you did a fun clue hunt things on the last day of school. Caleb's is tomorrow and I couldn't be more excited to be done with it. I promise to work on my attitude this summer. We will have to come for a space trip sometime! Caleb would think he had dies and gone to--space, which is as good as Heaven for a young lad.

www.mostblessedman.blogspot.com said...

I am proud to announce that I am the furthest thing from a Trekkie. Nerds! With that said, I did this for a family birthday party and it was a total hoot! We had a blast. Still didn't become a Trekkie though.