Thursday, June 16, 2011

Lovin' the Sunnin'

Is "sunnin" a word? I needed something catchy that rhymed with "lovin"...

Ah, summer. How I love, love, love summer. I am a vitamin D sunshine ray girl all the way! I don't even mind the heat or the fact that I sweat alot during this time of year. I'm just so grateful for fun summer dresses and skirts, popsicles, watermelon, cute kids and no school. No responsibility. No packing lunches or doing homework or lectures about responsibility. Love it.

But we have done a couple of things that are worth sharing.

First is the fabulous morning chore routine. Here is how things unfold:

When the kids wake up, they are not allowed to turn on the TV, play, eat, or breathe until their beds are made, their rooms are clean, and they are dressed.

Next we eat breakfast.

While eating breakfast, we each read 2 verses from the Book of Mormon (for a total of 8-12 verses depending on how many "extra" verses mom tries to sneak in) and we practice "The Living Christ" that our family is memorizing this year. (A fabulous challenge from our bishop extended to each family in our ward this year! I've heard a 4 year old recite the entire thing and get teary eyed when my 6 year old recites her paragraphs. It has been such an amazing experience for us individually and as a family...)

After breakfast, the kids brush their teeth, do their hair, and do an "extra" chore. If they do this extra chore without any complaining, they get paid for it. If they complain, whine, or moan, they still have to do the chore but they don't get paid for it.

Next we rotate through practicing piano, reading for 15 minutes, and doing some type of math activity for 15 minutes. And then they are done...free to roam and play and eat popsicles to their hearts content. Unless the poor unsuspecting souls get dragged someplace by their mother...or "tricked" into an educational activity disguised as a "fun project".

Add to the mix a splash of swim lessons...






Adventures with friends and the cousins we adore...






Bake at 80 to 85 degrees for roughly 3 months...and voila. Summer Delight.

P.S. If you are looking for some other fun stuff to do this summer, may I recommend the following:

a) Build Your Own Country
This gem of a book leads kids through a fun journey of inventing their own country. Along the way, they learn lots of things about geography. Kids get to stake claim to their new country, decide on a language, flag, currency, type of government, etc. We do a little bit here and there but it is lots of fun and lots of cool new "hands on" stuff to try. Right now my kids are each trying to decide what type of government they want...democratic, socialist, communist. Fascinating stuff. Stay tuned...


Day One: Deciding what land to claim for their countries. JC staked himself a claim out on the front lawn under a shade tree on a nice bit of grassy lawn. He marked off his new country with stakes and rope and then I made them get out the measuring tapes to calculate area and perimeter of their new countries. MC and his friend staked out some land on the side of the house...lots of sun but very grassy.



Next the boys went to work designing their flags.



b) Top Secret Adventures by Highlight magazines. This is a fantastic learning experience for children of all ages. Every 6 weeks you get a "Top Secret" learning kit where children have to take an adventure through a country solving the who, what, where, and why of a mystery. It comes with a beautiful book about the country, an activity book that they have to use to figure out clues, and a puzzle. It is a bit pricey but ALL 3 of my children adore this series. Just a note...the activity book that comes with the kit is the only one you get. I called to see if you could order extra activity books and you can't. I always make a copy of the activity book so all of my children can have their own experience.

c) Check out summer reading programs at your local library. My kids love the summer programs. They are doing a "Mystery" program and a "Out In The Park" program...lots of fun. And I signed up for an adult reading adventure this summer.

d) If you live in Utah, then check out enjoyutah.org. Lots of fun, new places to go and see. I am really looking forward to seeing one of Utah's ghost towns,  Camp Floyd, Saltair, Antelope Island, and the Dinosaur Park in Ogden. We love to visit our "annual" stomping grounds but try and make it a point to discover several new places as well. I spent some time online exploring places I really wanted to take the kids to see and printed out the information about that specific venue. I put them in a notebook that I pull out when I am trying to plan our week and see where we would like to go next. Any time I hear of any idea or come across a place, I just tuck it in the notebook. That way I have all those ideas for quick reference at my fingertips.

e) Check out citydeals.com for great coupons and deals on fun places to hang out. We have bought tickets for more than half-off on things like indoor rock climbing, laser tag, our favorite local bakery, the Dinosaur Park in Ogden, etc. I stash some away for those "rainy" days when you don't have anything to do.

f) I have become a passionate "letterboxer". Anytime we leave on an adventure, I check letterboxing.org or atlasquest.com to see if there are any letterboxes in the area we will be visiting. I have a little bag with our notebooks and stamps that I just keep tucked in the trunk of our car...that way we always have a little treasure hunting to remember our adventure by. On atlasquest.com you can even enter the starting and ending location of your family vacation and it will show you all the letterboxes to find along whatever route you'll be taking. Great way to break up a long car ride! And you can find these letterboxes all over the world!!!!

g) Ride your bike when you can. We tuned up all the bikes, bought new helmets and locks, attached a sassy little basket to the front of my bike and we have been exploring our little town. We ride to swim lessons, the library, the park, or just head out for biking adventures. It has been a great opportunity to really teach my kids about bike safety and etiquette, get some great exercise, and see our town from a new perspective. It has been a great experience!

h) On Monday night we gave each of our children their very own copy of the General Conference issue of the Ensign. We wrote their names really big on the front and challenged each of them to read the number of articles they are old to earn a special date with mom or dad. My 6 year old spent ALL day yesterday reading the first 6 talks in the magazine. It was funny to watch her walk into swim lessons or see her in her booster seat with her nose planted firmly in the Ensign. And this morning I spent an amazing 20 minutes snuggling in my bed going through each article and discussing what she read. While she is a great reader, she did not understand most of what she read. But she understood very important things and shared some of those thoughts and feelings with me this morning. Thank you to our bishop's wife for the wonderful idea! It has been a great experience to see my children reading the talks from General Conference...or reading them out loud together!

Are you burned out yet? One more little note on an already too lengthy note...the things I have mentioned in this particular blog work for me. It has taken me lots of years to understand that just because something sounds like a great idea doesn't mean it is a great idea for me personally or how I function best as a mom. I don't do well staying at home. I love getting out and going and exploring. But I also know moms who are fantastic at home and do amazing things there. Every mom is different and you have to really play around with things to find what works for you, your parenting style, and your stress level. And you may put a system in place and spend the summer tweaking it. Parenting is trial and error and failure and success. And sometimes what works great for a couple of weeks suddenly doesn't work and you have to tweak and revamp things. All good...all part of the learning curve that never seems to go away as a mom. I love to read other moms ideas and see what they are doing...then I love to chew on it for a bit and see what is practical and what is "dreamy". And then I tweak and stew and tweak and experiment and along they way some great things have the opportunity to happen. So...get on your blog, leave me a comment so I know where to go, and share what your ideas are for this summer.

And if you are in the neighborhood, stop by for a popsicle.




8 comments:

Emma Jo said...

I love it! I am in the process of mapping out our summer plan, as it were. I have three more days of school before I have to actually go through with any of it...I will be ready! (if I keep telling myself it will come to fruition, right?)

SUMMIT VOLLEYBALL said...

I so wish to be more like you! You inspire me and I admire your love for your children. I will be stopping by for a popsicle.

mo said...

And here I thought summer delight had macaroni and ham in it! Well, I guess yours has a little ham. Have I told you lately what an absolutely incredible mom you are? Well, you are. I wish I was your child.

Waverly said...

You are amazing. Really, you are! Your kids are so lucky. A lot of great ideas to try out. Our storage pod and boxes will be delivered tomorrow, and I am in "survival mode" with the kids. I long for the day when I am at a place to have some satisfying, organized and educational fun with my kids. Is Disneyland educational? Because after I'm done packing and we move... that is our first thing on our "TO DO" list. :)

Happy Summer!

Suzie Petunia said...

OK, that was me, not Gravy. Clearly someone was on Mom's computer without permission...

Jessica said...

I love you Amy! I have had great intentions, but haven't quite gotten in the routine yet. We have also had plumbers, inspectors, and lots of hammering going on the last week. My boys have been at a science camp up at the U of U this week, and have loved it. So, next week, we get to start our family schedule! I love your blog. Thanks for all the ideas, and encouragement.

Heather and Eric said...

Amazing ideas. Thanks for sharing. I have been forced to think of different options for my kids now that I have reverted back to the land of infants... your ideas are some that I could do with my older kids, but won't be too hard on me with my newest kid. :) Whew!

BBoys&Mom said...

Oh for the days when all the kids were young enough summer life wasn't all planned out for me already and we could do fun things like this...although you're much more ambitious than I was. I like a lot of "white" time - like white space on the page of a book - time to just be together. That's why we don't have lots of sports or other commitments pulling at us all the time. Sounds like you have it working very well right now!