As I was cleaning out a pile of my oldest son's school papers (so we have been out of school for a month...don't judge me!), I came across this assignment. It is a persuasive essay he wrote on the merits of reading for 20 minutes a day. I found it very educational...and persuasive. Get ready to be persuaded...
"I think that reading 20 minutes each day should be required for 4th graders. There are several reasons why reading for a third of an hour each day should be mandatory.
The first reason is that reading helps build neurons. The more neurons you have the better college you will get in to. And every kid wants to go to a good college.
The second reason is that reading sparks imagination. If we want to have flying cars in the future, we will want our future leaders to have enough imagination to make that possible.
The third reason is that reading can give kids something to do. Most kids spend their time in front of the television watching the same show over and over and over and eventually it gets really, really boring. But with reading there is always a new book so it stays interesting and never gets boring.
All in all, reading 20 minutes a day should be a requirement. It is a smart thing to do. It would change the world for the better."
Amen my boy. Amen.
6 comments:
I love that he thinks every 4th grader should read 20 minutes a day because all kids want to get into a good college! Bless him! He just may be bound for Harvard!
I may just get off the computer and go read my book right now.
A solid argument. Solid.
Smart boy. I haven't commented in so long you probably didn't realize I was reading blogs more than 20 minutes a day and thus do not normally have time to comment as well. But I have such smart grand nephews I had to say something
he is AWESOME.
i wont tell him that not every kid his age is concerned about going to a good college just yet :)
this is so great!
first off, 1:33 AM? I know a guy with some internet RX connections...
I must admit that in all the reading arguments I've ever heard, flying cars has never been mentioned--I think Jake is on to something. Although the driving age would have to be raised--can you imagine any of our nephews at the wheel of an air-born vehicle?!
Post a Comment