Thursday, December 22, 2011

Fa La La La La...(snore)

I love the holidays. Love them. But things start going so quickly when what I really want is for things to slow down and for this season to linger just a little longer than it seems to. And I need a nap...a long, long winter's nap. I want a couple of days where I get into my most comfy pajamas and go to bed and just sleep and sleep and then read for a bit before going back to sleep...and repeat for the whole 2 days. Doesn't that sound fantastic? But then I would miss so many of the wonderful things I love...

I love the happy twinkle lights. They light up the cold, dark nights.

I love the music...oh, the glorious music. You should hear me sing the chorus to "Angels We Have Heard On High" or the Hallelujah chorus. I'm really something standing there in the shower singing my guts out.

I love Christmas decorations...the gorgeous tree my husband decorated, the 3 little trees that my children decorated, the greenery with little white lights, bows, the gingerbread house decorated with all the leftover Halloween candy, the stockings hung on the banister, the tiny manager MC made in scouts this month holding the very small baby doll dressed in pink footie pj's, the creepy "elf on a shelf" with his wee beady eyes (the kids have finally started sleeping in their own beds again)...it is just all so lovely.

The baskets of Christmas books. I love books.

The goodies in the kitchen. We now have enough delicious baked goods and candy to open our own shop...but we are WAY to selfish to share. Get your own.

The fact that all 3 of our children are over at Grandma and Grandpa's house for a cousin sleepover and Chris and I are sitting in a SILENT house with all those delicious goodies in the kitchen looking at each other in the glow of the tree lights. And frantically trying to finish last minute Christmas stuff...if you haven't received a Christmas card from us, no worries. I'm sure we'll get them finished before Easter.

Hope your season is filled with twinkle lights and lots of merriment. I would have included pictures but all those baked goodies are settling my body into this blue chair and I can't get up.

3 comments:

Suzie Petunia said...

Sounds like heaven on earth. Wish I were there. (Hey guys! Hey guys! Whatcha doin'? Hey guys!)

Cracks me up that your kids are terrified of the Elf on the Shelf. :)

Lucky Mommy said...

Same here. I tried to do so much ahead of time this year and am still scrambling, but I think I'm done, almost, as of tonight. Glad you got a quiet night and some of those treats you worked so hard to make! Let us know your favorite Christmas books! We only have a few and I'd like to start buying one for the family each year. Love you!

Emma Jo said...

Yes yes and yes. I need grandparents that live closer. But it helps that my kids are oblivious to the fact that I am finishing up Christmas gifts in the room right next to them.