Then came high school…and her next album. Oh the loves found and lost to that music. “Didn’t We Almost Have It All”, “Where Do Broken Hearts Go”…I can’t tell you how many tears were shed, how many boys were analyzed, how many teenage relationships dissected with that album as the background. And once again she worked her magic when I auditioned for the high school “Highlanders” squad to one of her songs…and made it! Whitney and I were unstoppable. We danced, we sang more duets in the car, we lip synched, and we were happy. Whitney had a song for everything! She knew how to say it best.
When I was in my early 20’s, I attended one of her concerts in Boston. It was amazing! I was just as enamored with her then as I had been in high school. Her voice was truly unlike anything I had ever heard…it was beautiful. And she still could capture my moods better than anyone. We were quite a team.
From 1 992-1994, I was serving a full time mission for the LDS church in Denmark and the movie “The Bodyguard” had just been released. Danes were just as crazy about Whitney as I was and I heard the soundtrack to that movie EVERYWHERE we went…member’s homes, shopping centers, cars, grocery stores…without consciously making an effort, I came home knowing most of the words to every song on the soundtrack! So she even provided a little background music for my mission. Can’t say many music artists have done that!
And so I was truly heartbroken to hear of her tragic passing! I have loved her music but truly was so disappointed in the direction her life took the last years of her life. I had admired and respected her so much as a teenager that it was disheartening to see her become a victim of alcohol and drugs. My heart aches for her family and what they must be experiencing right now. But Whitney will continue to sing… This afternoon I broke out my “Whitney’s Greatest Hits” CD and sang all her love songs to my baby while we were cleaning up and hanging out. I took her “fast” tracks CD in the car to pick up the kids from school and played it so loud that Hannah finally asked if I could turn it down. And when my children need that background music to celebrate their first kiss or first heartbreak or need a peppy song to audition for the dance squad to, Whitney will be there. That’s the magic of what she has left behind.
B/F/F Whitney!




5 comments:
Oddly enough, I always think of you when I hear a Whitney Houston song. And I think of you and your awesome hair as a teenager when I watch her video "Wanna Dance with Somebody". I think I need to download some of her music, right now.
Love her too...In my valentines day card from Scott it said..."Whitney said it best, I will always love you." He might of been mocking my sadness a little:)
I'm with Em, you and Whitney will always be interconnected in my mind. Such a sad loss.
I was so sad when I heard she died-- I remember buying her first album with my friend at the local Woolworth's and listening to it over and over and over-- and doing lipsyncs over and over and over-- and now I feel really old all of the sudden....just kidding. She had a phenomenal voice.
And because she was the soundtrack to your teenage years she was the soundtrack to my childhood--so thank you!
My favorite video on MTV was I Wanna Dance With Somebody :) I can still hear it blasting from your room downstairs!
Post a Comment