Sunday, February 26, 2012

Ode to Sleep Deprivation

Do you like sleeping my little man?
I do not like it, Mommy Dear.
I do not like sleeping by myself at all.



Would you like sleeping here or there?
I would not like sleeping here or there.
I would not like sleeping anywhere.
I do not like sleeping on my own.
I do not like it, Mommy Dear.



Would you like to sleep in a house?
Would you like to sleep in a crib?

I do not like it in a house.
I do not like it in a crib.
I do not like sleeping here or there.
I do not like sleeping anywhere.
I do not like sleeping on my own.
I do not like it Mommy Dear.



Would you sleep in a car seat?
Would you sleep in your swing?
Would you sleep in a bouncy chair?
Not in a car seat.
Not in a swing.
Not in a bouncy chair.
Not in a house.
Not in a crib.
I will not sleep here or there.
I would not sleep just anywhere.
I do not like to sleep alone.
I do not like it, Mommy Dear.



I like to sleep in your arms.
I like to sleep curled on your chest.
I like it on your lap in the blue chair.
I like it with bottles of milk on demand.
I will sleep with you in the chair.
Aren't I cuddly Mommy Dear?


Good thing he is so stinkin' cute!

This baby is the love of our family's life right now.

Isn't he incredibly handsome? He has us tightly wrapped around his little fingers.

We love his hazel eyes and big chubby cheeks!

Ah...love.


But we need advice...how did you get your newborn babies to sleep better at night?????


11 comments:

Emma Jo said...

Invest in earplugs.

You have me in a panic, while I sit here and look at pictures of your deliciously adorable baby boy, my own is kicking me so hard from the inside that I want to push back just a little and tell him "Sshh, Mommy is trying to read blogs." What if this baby doesn't sleep either? I wish we lived closer so I could just drop him off at your house because seriously, if you are already not sleeping, why should we both be tired?

Julie said...

Jack Daniels....for YOU not him. Just kidding. I would put a heating pad in Spencer's bed (my Spencer:) and warm it up. I took it out just before I put him in of course-- and that seemed to help a lot. I think it was the nice warm temp of snuggling mom changing into a cooler crib that made mine jolt awake and not want to sleep. I feel for ya!! I hope something works!!

Abby said...

Have you tried a white noise machine? Maybe some sound would help. There is usually a creepy heartbeat choice that I don't like but my kids will just sit and listen to like it's a symphony.
Good luck! He is absolutely gorgeous and I wish I could snuggle him right this minute and give you a nap.

wendys said...

yikes! With Ian I was strict with the schedule (from the Babywise books) and made him fuss a bit. With Eliza I was a softy and held her all the time!

michaelstubbs said...

Let me finish Wendy's comment...and Eliza still wants to be held all day every day!

What an absolutely discouraging poem. We'll have to keep our kid in the womb a little while longer. I am a big fan of baby slings which allow you to keep the kid close and sleep while you get other things done. It's like a hands-free device.

Lucky Mommy said...

So fun to look back on, so hard to get through! Supposed to improve at 6 weeks old. I LOVE Dr. Weisbluth's Healthy Sleeping Habits Happy Child. It saved my life, and probably my boys' lives as well, and it worked with Anna too. I'm sure you know all the tricks, though, each kid is just so different.

Leese said...

I am a horrible mother....Brady slept (on his belly) on my chest for the first 6 months (at least) of his life! The kid screamed if I didn't hold him, so he lived in a sling all day! i finally took him to the chiropractor around 2months for adjustments and that seriously cured his colic! (he still slept with me at night...he was too cozy and cute! bad mom, bad mom!) Good luck! Good thing he is SO cute!!!!

Suzie Petunia said...

I love the heating pad idea... that sounds genius. Here's to more sleep for everyone in your house so you can enjoy his adorable-ness during the day! :) He IS so handsome!!!

mo said...

Is it possible to take it as a compliment that he just doesn't want to be away from those he loves for a second? Okay, maybe not. He IS an incredibly handsome little guy if that helps.

www.mostblessedman.blogspot.com said...

He is very handsome. We are so happy for you guys and for him. He is very blessed to be with you and I am sure you feel the same way. So awesome!

Anonymous said...

I loved this post - I cannot believe I didn't comment earlier on it!
There will come a day when this sleepless time will be a sweet memory :)
Of course, his mommy can put the experience into clever written form!
I've had sleepless children. I discovered a level of fatigue that I didn't know could exist!
Some babies don't like to be held at all...no snuggles...I'll take the sleep-on-my-chest variety :) Nothing feels quite like the weight of a snoozing babe.