Thursday, April 26, 2012

Spring Break 2012

Spring is in full bloom outside my window...we have the most glorious tulips and daffodills in our yard and the trees lining our street are bursting full of white blossoms. It is so beautiful! I love the warmer weather and how people start to emerge from their houses. Every one is working in their yards, kids are back on their bikes and scooters, trampolines are being jumped on, the smell of BBQ wafts through the air at dinner time and it feels like everything and everyone is coming back to life!




A couple of weeks ago, the kids were off school for a week for spring break. We still are a little nervous about venturing too far from home with a baby who doesn't sleep through the night, so we decided to have a "staycation" vacation. Chris took several days off of work and we assigned each family member one day of spring break to plan the activities we would do. It was such a fun week...although I will say that my absolute favorite part of the week was just being together with no commitments or responsibility. I loved just hanging out together!

Day 1: Monday (Chris' Day)

Chris had never been to Bingham Cooper Mine which is a pretty impressive hole in the ground just 30 minutes from our home. So we packed a picnic lunch and took off to see the enormous trucks and great big mine. I don't consider myself a huge truck fan but even these trucks are pretty hypnotizing!




This is an actual wheel off one of the trucks used in the mine. Impressive, eh?


After exploring the mine, we ate our picnic in the car while heading downtown. Our first stop was Mo and Papa's new digs...we couldn't actually see the inside of their new condo but we visited the pool and other amenities and the kids approved of their new place. We are SO, SO excited for them to come home in a few months.




Last stop of the day...the new City Creek Center. We wandered, played in the fountain, checked out a few shops, and got an ice-cream cone at McDonalds.








The day was balmy and beautiful! It was wonderful to wander around without any specific place to be. I love those kind of days!

Day 2: Tuesday (MC's Day)
Please tell me you aren't one tiny bit surprised that when MC was given free reign to plan a day, that he had us all organized and playing soccer down at the park! It was another gorgeous day and was actually lots of fun!






I'm sorry...we interrupt this ridiculously long blog to stop and admire how darling our baby boy is.

I mean seriously...doesn't he make your heart pitter-patter?!
 After a morning of intense sport, we loaded the family into the trusty mini-van and headed up to Heber to visit Great-Grandma Carr. She is 97 years old and amazing! This was her first time meeting Baby...we were pretty sure someone had remembered to tell her we had adopted...we aren't so sure if she realized he was black. She just sat and loved on him...he cuddled up in her arm and fell gently asleep. It was very sweet!


 Since we were already up in Heber, we decided to finish the day with dinner at Dairy Keen...a local hot spot. It had the coolest soda machines any of us had every seen. Hundreds upon hundreds of soda combinations right at your finger tips on a cool computer screen. I was afraid we were all going to wet ourselves in the car going home...and I wasn't wearing absorbent knee socks!









I think Baby's jumping picture is my favorite.

Day 3: Wednesday (HB's Day)

Here is where my photo-journaling starts getting a little sketchy...on HB's day we all went swimming at the local rec center. Actually...Chris took the 3 older kids swimming and Baby and I opted to skip the parasites, floating band-aids, and hairy locker rooms and snuggle down in the blue chair for some "24" catch up.


Carrie came over that afternoon to pick up Mr. Peepers and I got to snuggle my OK boy. Wish I'd put on a little make-up...and brushed my hair.

Day 4: Thursday (JC's Day)
My oldest child is a man of simple pleasures! For his day he wanted to stay home and play Mine Craft. Chris had to go back to work so I put the kids to work doing chores and taking turns alternating games on the computer/Kindle. The house got clean, they got to play mindless games, and we had a moment to catch our breaths!

I eventually packed the kiddos up and headed to BYU for some bowling...only to discover it was PACKED because everyone else had the same idea. We opted for a couple new books from the bookstore and treats from the candy counter!

That night was the much anticipated "cousin" sleepover...the kids had been waiting all week for this event! The boys went to Chip and ML's house and the girls came to our house. We had so much fun! After picking up the girls up, we made a quick stop at our favorite toy store "Blickenstaff's" where we did a scavenger hunt, looked at all the cool, vintage toys, and chose a quick treat for the road! The girls loved it...next time you come to Utah, we will take you. I promise you won't be disappointed!






The girls then headed back to our house where we made homemade pizzas, watched movies, ate ridiculously big bowls of ice-cream, and went to bed super late!

The next morning we were up bright and early for an insane amout of bacon and pancakes at IHOP! I think the bacon was the girls favorite part of the whole sleepover! Then it was back home to do fancy nails and hair! A slumber party is not a slumber party without a makeover!



Baby Boy was the "lone" wolf at the girl sleepover. But he just chilled out and took  it all in.





Day 5: Friday (Amy's Day)
Finally it was my turn! We headed up to Salt Lake City to explore one of the newest museums in town...The Leonardo! Chip, ML, and kids came with us and we had a splendid afternoon exploring wonderful new things. I love museums...I really, really do!




They had this awesome exhibit where you could locate different parts of the world with a huge Google map on the floor...this is ML and the girls standing next to the farm ML's parents live on in France.

Next the kids found the Stockholm temple and Mo and Papa's house. It was so cool!




This charming local business was across the street from the museum...Chip and I loved the beautiful window art underneath the Bail Bonds. I guess it is important to remember Mom...even if  you spend the day in jail.

That night I went on a hot date with 2 of my favorite boys...Chris and Baby. We finally saw the movie Hunger Games (LOVED IT!) and ended with juicy hamburgers at JCW's. Perfection!


Day 6: Saturday

Now it is getting late and I'm losing control over my computer text buttons...and this blog post is WAY too long.

Saturday we met Chip and  ML's family again at the BYU Museum of Art to enjoy the new exhibit "Beauty and Belief" and to take a family art adventure tour. These experiences are incredible...you sign up at the museum and on Saturday mornings there are special "art" experiences where they take you and your children on an amazing journey through one of the exhibits and then into the "art" room to create your own piece of art! It was our first time and we were so blown away...we are already signed up to do it next month with a different exhibit! The kids were truly engaged and fascinated by the experience and loved doing the art activity afterwards! It was wonderful.

Then we headed out for lunch...the kids won the popular vote and we went to Cafe Rio! A crowd pleasing favorite!


I love traveling...but what I love most is having grand adventures...and so many times the grandest of adventures can be found right in your own backyard! It was a fabulous spring break full of great experiences, family, food, and loads of fun...and we got to sleep in our own beds at night!

I am so grateful for Chris and my 4 amazing children. I am grateful that my "happy" place is wherever they are! I am grateful for their explorer's hearts and open minds! I love living close to family and having them be a part of our "life experiences". I love that my children will look back on so many childhood memories where their extended family was involved. It was a wonderful week! Now I'm ready for summer break....






5 comments:

mo said...

Oh I felt like I was with you every step of the way! Thanks for sharing in such detail. What a great vacation--and no hotel bills! I wish I had known you were looking at our house...I would have stepped outside and waved at you all! Can we do it all again when we get home?

Emma Jo said...

The problem with long posts is I totally lose track of everything I want to say by the end! Absorbent knee socks, classic. Love the jumping baby pic, the sleepovers, the babies whose ethnicity remains a mystery to some more "senior citizens" and google map images that would make me tear up a little.

Suzie Petunia said...

Loved it all!

Jessica said...

Looks like a super fun spring break to me! And, that is a seriously delicious baby! Hope you get some sleep!

Abby said...

so, SO fun! you are mary poppins, for real.