Sunday, June 03, 2012

Attention: Missing the Month of May

Uh...what happened? One minute it was May...and now it is June. Does anyone else find that a little suspicious? I'm quite certain I missed a few days. I'd like to think I just slept right through them but I KNOW that isn't the case. I have a darling hunk of delicious that is still struggling to grasp the importance of a good, solid nap. So...here is what you missed...

One 5th grader in one patriotic program on one BYU campus...it is called "Hope of America" and it is a very cool program. Jake and one of his good friends got to be "stars" in the flag...hence the white T-shirts. Schools from all over the valley participate. They spend most of the year practicing for it...and they put on a great show. I think I may have even teared up a couple of times...

They sang lots of songs...

And sang songs while wearing sunglasses...

And made a very impressive American flag.

At one point there was even a disco ball...bless public education and patriotism and disco balls...what a combo!

The most random portion of the program were the senior citizen ladies dance club that performed to "Kung Fu Fighting"...and that is patriotic because....?? (Jake also just pointed out that later in the program they came back and performed to "Coming To America". It was still very random.)


April and May are also birthday months around here. First we celebrated our mavelous niece M. She is beautiful and talented and sweet and funny...



 
Next we celebrated Miss L's big day. She is also one of my favorite people...I really do have amazing nieces.


We also celebrated one amazing grandmother who turned 88 years old. The woman doesn't take a lick of any kind of medication and when they recently did a check-up and blood work, the medical team was rocked because she is so perfectly healthy in every possible way. They couldn't believe they were looking at the physical condition of a woman her age. I wish I had more of those genetics...

And now we will take a quick "cute baby" break...


Isn't he amazing? Let's talk about Baby for a minute...


Baby turned 4 months old in May. At his check-up, he weighed in at a healthy 15 lbs. 10 oz. and 25 inches long...not bad for a little boy who came into this world at 5 lbs. 10 oz. and 18 inches long. He is growing SO quickly!

 This little boy is not only extremely cute but very strong. When you are holding him, he will jump. And jump. And jump. And jump until your arms are burning and tears are running down your cheeks and you are begging him to just sit and take a break. What is funny is when you try and put him in his "johnny jump up" device. This is what you get...

A blank stare and a limp body. He puts his hands down by his side and dangles. We think he looks a little like a turtle...

Anyway, back to his cuteness.


He has a dimple on his left cheek that will melt your heart and a head full of darling little curls. He coos and talks and giggles and is becoming very ticklish.

On Cinco De  Mayo we attended our friend's annual "mustache" party. My 2 darling nephews were staying with us for the weekend. Here is what darling nephew #1 had for dinner....


Let's get a close up of the plate...


I think it was mostly a wide variety of chips and dip with 2 hot dogs (not pictured) and various flavors of soda to wash it all down. His mother was out of the country...and I have since apologized profusely.

 Of course Chris made amazing mustache cookies for the occasion.

And of course we forced a mustache on our baby. It is a little crooked because he REALLY hated having it put on.

Somewhere in May I decided I'd had enough of all the "school" stuff and reverted back to my younger days and declared my own "break" from school. We played hookey. And because I do not believe in playing alone, we invited our good friends to come with us. We traveled up to a fabulous place here in UT where we celebrated the 143rd anniversary of the joining of the transcontinental railroad. There was a whole program, a reenactment, a band, and lots of dust blowing around. But it was fascinating!!! An interesting piece of history that had a big impact on our country. I learned so much. That is what my parents failed to understand with my little "breaks" in high school...they could be so educational. Right? Am I right?

Our friends have 3 children who I adore. This particular little bug loves Baby and is the most adoring, doting little "mommy". I love watching her fascination with him. It is so sweet.
\
 We saw big replica trains that blew soot everywhere...

 And walked the railroad tracks out in the wild prairie country...

Something so liberating about railroad tracks and train whistles.

Meeting the engineer...

 Admiring the hardware...

And of course I made the  kids do the Junior Ranger booklets and be sworn in as Rangers...but I will say that I have never encountered a park ranger as tough as the one who passed my kids off and swore them in. He didn't let them get away with missing a thing...

And OF COURSE there were Dairy Queen blizzards for the trip home...


HB and I took a field trip with ML and kids to see a fabulous show at BYU.

Please excuse the pumpkin top. I didn't know it was SO unflattering. It has been relagated to the box labelled "Clothes That I Like But Will Look Better When I Have Lost a Little Weight".

This is what happens when you are the youngest of 4 children...you are at the mercy of those siblings who have fine motor control and can do whatever they want with you...like dress you up in fluffy crowns and goalie gloves.

This month also marked the introduction of solids. I told the doctor at his check up that I felt like I couldn't keep this kid full...and he recommended rice cereal. It took this child .2 seconds to master the spoon and art of eating rice cereal. He now gets solids twice a day and has started sleeping SO MUCH BETTER at night.

He likes it with applesauce, prunes, or sweet potatoes.

 And he will ALWAYS be a helper.

 Matthew performed in his 3rd grade Roman play...he was a narrator and had a fabulous costume.

 We also hung out at BYU's family art workshop one Saturday. This boy is too cool for words...

 And this girl is the most uninhibited creature on the planet...

She is dancing to the music in her head...down the main drag on BYU campus.

And this little boy has come to adore this "big" boy. They are quite a team.

And even though she waltzes down public thoroughways dancing to music only she can hear, I couldn't adore her more.

One more pause to appreciate cuteness.

Are you tired yet? How can you be tired? Isn't every little thing my family does as interesting to you as it is to me? Really the only investment you have to make is to scroll down every once in a while...and I haven't even gotten to all the good parts yet.

Jake and Chris embarked on a sugar cookie business to help Jake raise money to go to space camp this summer. There was lots of baking and decorating and selling...and before you embarrass me by asking what recipe we used or how we got that particular shade of frosting I will just confess up front that Chris did it all and I did nothing. You will have to ask him...I am not the baker in this union.

 This is how awkward my children look trying to climb into cupboards to find baking powder.

 Jake looks possessed in this one...but he did succeed in getting the baking powder down.


Jake sold these beautiful cookies on a stick for Mother's Day and at the end of school to give as teacher gifts. Thank you one and all for your support!!! We have amazing, generous neighbors and my boy raised enough money to go!

 Nothing...and I mean NOTHING...warms my heart more than brothers reading together.

 Is it time for more cute pictures?

Oh, but brothers playing together also warms my heart.

And on one random Sunday walk we discovered where exactly the sidewalk ends...just in case you had always wondered.

 Baby was completely unconcerned about the sidewalk ending...

And then, like all good things, school had to end.
 Jake with Ms. Call.

Matthew with Ms. Moeai'.

 HB with Ms. Fender.

My 3 children were blessed with 3 of the finest educators I have ever known. These 3 women did things in their classrooms this year that changed lives...they are talented and instinctive and compassionate and masters at what they do. I truly consider it one of the greatest blessings that my children have sat at their feet and not only learned so much but gained such incredible confidence. I am so grateful.

And working at the front desk of our school are 4 fairy godmothers who my son adores. Every time I walked through the school doors, Baby was whisked away and loved, snuggled, and adored. And I'm not lying when I tell you that there were times when I would go to pick him up and he would CRY when I would take him. He was in love with these women...and I am so grateful. They are incredible women and wonderful friends. Thank you for loving my Baby!

This is the red panel behind the front desk that Baby would spend HOURS looking at, talking to, and giggling at. We think it was a magic portal where his "invisible" friends would come. It was hilarious...and only a little disturbing.

Those cheeks really do beg to be kissed.

On the last day of school, 2 of my good friends and I took the kids on a surprise scavenger hunt around town. When school was dismissed, each of their teachers handed them an envelope with their first clue...and magic summer sunglasses.

We spent the next 2 hours gallavanting around town doing different tasks to earn clues...

We did tree hugging at the park, rolled down big hills, slid down big slides....


Got new books from the children's librarian at the public library...

 Ran laps at the rec center...

 Almost threw up at the rec center (rolling down hills and then running laps can be murder on your stomach...)

 DId the chicken dance to earn a clue...

 Chose a summer toy at the dollar store...

And sang for the employees and customers at Seagull books...

And then we rewarded their efforts with lunch at Chick-Fil-A. I love that place...

Squirrel...distracted by more pictures of cute Baby in his highchair.


And so another summer has started. Memorial Day was spent visiting and remembering those whose shoulders we now stand on.


 HB always spends extra time with her "namesake".

And there was a quick stop at the local hangout for burgers...


We are truly blessed with such amazing ancestors...inspiring, courageous, faithful individuals who have fought the good fight and left a great legacy for those who follow.

I hope this summer is filled with lots of memories of time together, time with friends, and slow days where we can enjoy each other and this amazing life we have been given.

I even bought a new red and white polka dot swimsuit for the summer. And I've worn it once.




 Baby went swimming for the first time...took him a little while to warm up to the idea of the pool...and he refused to open his eyes because it was SO bright.


But he was stunning in his shark swim ensemble complete with wide brim hat...and it's all about looking good at poolside anyway.

And last but not least...happy birthday to my sweet, wonderful, talented husband! I'm so glad you were born!

Let the summer festivities begin!

(Once your eyes recover from reading this epic blog, I will tell you about the AMAZING programs we are using this summer to do chores, read scriptures, and keep our academic skills fresh. In your spare time, go check out My Job Chart and prepare to have your summer of getting kids to do chores be changed forever! We are finishing week 2 of the program and it is brilliant...and free!!!)

4 comments:

Emma Jo said...

I feel so fulfilled after your posts. I read every single word and would just like to take this moment to remind you that
1. You are fun and I miss you and kind of wish that I was your child
2. Your children ARE indeed darling darling darling
3. Have you forgotten that your self appointed "school breaks" usually involved some kind of "law breaking" as well? I didn't see any of that at the trains.
4. I am so happy you are coming and I get to snuggle your baby (and you and Chris, though I'm not sure Chris appreciates the snuggles from me quite as much)

Abby said...

I got nothin. You answered all my questions, such as what will the little man be wearing poolside this summer, and do you really love your children??
I am happy you are having so many adventures. I hope to have energy some day like you! What a great mom!

michaelstubbs said...

Sounds like a busy month. Your kids look great.

mo said...

You make every other mother in the country look like a slacker and, by comparison, our little Busy Bee school of yesteryear, looks like naptime. How do you keep coming up with all your fabulous ideas for being a great mom and educator? Really. I am amazed. BTW, your little forays into school skipping were not quite so educational, if I remember correctly....so no, you are still not excused! But nice try.