Monday, July 02, 2012

In a Nutshell

June in a nutshell. (What a funny expression...)

Baby is 5 months old now. He is 18 pounds of pure energy, curiousity, and personality! I can't believe how much he has changed in just the last couple of weeks. He has started sleeping 8-9 hours at night which has changed our lives. Nothing like a good night's rest and waking up to rediscover your "non sleep deprived" self. I still keep my Wild Strawberry Crystal Light energy drink close by...

I know he is young but this baby loves his books! I've never seen a baby who will sit and read with such interest. He will look at the pictures, try to help turn pages, and even help "read". It is hilarious...and wonderful!

But reading can be SUCH exhausting work...

Even though he turned 11 years old in February, they finally held the Arrow of Light ceremony this month. Jacob received his Webelos award as well as his Arrow of Light and was the only boy in the group to also receive his Eager Beaver award. So proud of this boy and his efforts!




And I continue to be fascinated by the strange and wonderful world of scouting. Indians? Eager Beaver awards? Face painting? Packs of wolves and bears...oh my? OK. Just going with the flow...

Ever since this baby was born, he has had a strange reaction to my hair dryer. He will be sitting happily playing with toys and the minute the blow dryer comes on, this is what happens! Total relaxation...total zen state.

Letterboxing with friends...we love discovering new places and "treasure" hunting. A fabulous activity to do with kids in the summer...go check it out.


Baby playing a mean game of Battleship with Jake and Matt. Although he is constantly trying to eat the ships...big strategy no-no.

This last month, Chris and I had the opportunity to fly to Washington, D.C. with Baby to attend the wedding of Chris' brother. The side bonus was staying with the Scharmans! We went a few days early to do some sightseeing...it was a fantastic trip and Baby was a total delight to travel with. Here he is being tickled in all his chubby rolls by his Aunt Em.

As we drove through the charming little towns and windy country roads filled with enormous trees to reach the Scharman home, I kept saying, "Who gets to live here? This is AMAZING!" And it truly was. Their house is located in a magical forest of beautiful green...we caught fireflies and watched the bats fly overhead at dusk. Really...who gets to live in such an enchanting place?

We embarked on some really serious sightseeing. First stop...the Pentagon where we Clark works...we got a personal tour AND lunch in the Pentagon food court. I can't tell you any more than that because it is all very top secret and what not...
Baby delivered a quick speech on American defense...
And then Chris addressed the nation...
Next stop was the "monument" walk downtown...it was a beautiful day of blue sky, puffy white clouds, and incredible patriotic majesty. I lived in Washington, D.C. for four months while I did my student teaching and I loved it. Loved all the history and patriotism and wonder of our country. I continue to be inspired every time I go back.
The Obamas were out for the day so we just took a picture.
The World War II monument.

A stop in the park to call the big kids back in UT and do some "jumping".

Vietnam Memorial.

Lincoln Memorial.




Korean War Memorial...a personal favorite.

Baby taking a long summer's nap in his stroller. He really was the most amazing little tourist! He slept, jumped, talked, ate, and played like a champ...even in a stroller being wheeled all over the place.
Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial...it was my first time seeing this memorial and I LOVED it. I thought it was beautifully done and a fitting tribute to his work.

Franklin D. Roosevelt Memorial...I didn't love this one. It seemed a little random for my taste.
Messing around with the Washington monument on a walk around the tidal basin.
And last but definitely not least, the Jefferson Memorial. We hit this one at sunset and it was quite a sight to see. Unfortunately I had unwisely chosen to wear my fabulous silver strappy "J-Lo from the hood" sandals and my feet were numb by the end of the day. You better believe the next day I sacrificed strappy sandals and painted red toes for a sturdy pair of tennis shoes.
Baby riding home on the Metro...his new thing is to put his arm over his eyes when he is tired and drinking his bottle. It looks like he is swooning....

Chris and baby found this strange phone looking contraption in the metro station...totally vintage!

U.S. Navy Memorial...and I will work on standing up straight. Good grief...what a slouch.


One of my absolutely favorite places...the American History Smithsonian. Love, love, love that place.



Sweet Hazel with baby. The Scharmans have 4 of the most delightful, darling, smart, creative, personality filled to the brim girls that I have ever met. Baby thought he had died and gone to heaven...he was not set down the entire time and everything he did was applauded. It really is his kind of place!

Em broke out the "jumping contraption" and the girls spent an evening trying to teach Baby how to jump in it.

And these 4 girls were so proud when he finally got it!

This is not going to put me in a very good light...I had the sheer AUDACITY to ask to stay with a sister whose 5th child was due ON THE DAY WE ARRIVED!!!! We PROMISED to take care of everything if she had the baby...I truly hoped with all my aunt filled heart that she would have that baby while we were there. We tried to induce labor...made her walk all over the Pentagon in summer heat and all...nothing. She ended up being a WEEK overdue (we had left by then) and had the most delicious 9 lb. 6 oz. baby boy! This little boy has it made in this house full of adoring girls!

It is EXHAUSTING being 5 months old...and 9 months + 1 week pregnant!

Chris' brother and his wife were married in the Washington, D.C. temple which is honestly one of the most breathtaking temples I have been to. They hosted a "family" BBQ the night before so the 2 families could meet...she is the oldest of 11 children and he is the middle of 9 so it was a PARTY! All of Chris' siblings (minus 1) and all of her siblings (minus 1) were in attendance and it was wonderful!

The next day they were sealed and it was a beautiful ceremony! Both of these amazing people deserve the miracle that this marriage brings...they are blending children and houses and lives but are doing it so beautifully and well. I felt truly grateful to be present at this happy, happy occasion!

Our "mini" family in front of the temple.


Baby is so curious about everything right now. I was packing the suitcase one night and he just wanted to help so badly.

On our last day there, we celebrated Father's Day. Clark likes to terrify his children by hiding when they come to bring him breakfast in bed and sing the "Daddy" song to him. This is where they found him...

Celebrating 2 amazing and very silly fathers! I am so grateful for Chris and the extraordinary father he is to our children...and I am grateful for the amazing fathers of my nieces and nephews...and amazing grandfathers. I am surrounded by kind, gentle, talented, compassionate men who take their responsibilities as fathers very seriously...and it shows. Happy Father's Day to all the wonderful men changing the world one moment at a time!

Me with 5 of my very favorite people.

The Scharmans...Baby was sitting in for the soon-to-be born baby boy Scharman.

Did I mention this baby was loved and adored the ENTIRE time?

And really...is there anything funnier than a pregnant woman in a "fat" shirt?

Goodbye Scharmans. My heart hurts thinking about how far away we are...we love you!

Good bye Washington, D.C. Thank you for showing us such a great time! Hope to see you again soon!

**Oh dear...out of order photos. These are from the reception the night Chris' brother was married...they held it in his wife's backyard and it was a delightful, beautiful affair!

There were super cute boys...

...lots of our favorite people...

jumping babies meeting aunts and uncles for the first time...

a cake buffet to DIE for...

wonderful sister-in-laws...

and wonderful brother-in-laws...

and amazing nieces and nephews!

And of course there was wild, uninhibited dancing!

When we returned home, we did the unthinkable. After YEARS of begging, coercing, pleading, and puppy dog eyes, we broke down and bought the kids a trampoline this summer!




And you better believe this Baby was completely entertained!!!! Jumping paradise...I have a feeling we may have found his new toy. He is only allowed on with mom or dad and no one else can jump while he has the stage. But he gets on there and jumps and giggles and jumps. It is hilarious!



Hope your summer is being filled with lots of fabulous memories and interesting stories to tell!




 







6 comments:

Jessica said...

that looks like so much fun!! Oh, little baby is so darn cute. I love the ages of 4-6 months. babies are just SO fun at that age. Love the hair dryer effect, that is hilarious! Love all the D.C. pictures! I really want to take my boys there some time. So good to hear from you!

Abby said...

Thank you for such a satisfying update! I am in love with that sweet baby of yours, and hooray for trampoline fun. Very jealous of your trip to DC but lived happily through your pictures...did that make sense?

michaelstubbs said...

Sounds like lots of fun.

mo said...

What a fabulous trip! I am so glad you got to be there for the wedding and to visit the Scharmans! I am loving the photos and commentary about little SPC--he's kind of like a Flat Stanley, except he is definately not flat, and his name is not Stanley, but he looks like he is a good traveling companion! Can I jump on your trampoline when I get home?

Emma Jo said...

I am so very very glad you came and stayed with us! I wouldn't have had it any other way - plus you kept me distracted by the fact that I wasn't having a baby when I was supposed to! It was so fun, and my kids adored you all! (by evidence of the fact that every sister and sister in law is now Amy.) PS My family doesn't always look like we do in that last shot...I wish you could have left when we were actually dressed in real clothes!

Paul said...

What a fun-filled month! I'm so glad you got to spend the time in DC with Emily and fam. It is a fascinating place and they are such a fun family. I'm so proud of Jake. These are real achievements that require a lot of work and determination. Being Chip and Spencer's Webelos leader was one of my all-time favorite assignments (except for the 3 day webelos camp in southeast Missouri. Remind me sometime and I'll tell you why.
We love you all...be careful on the trampoline and let's be sure and have plenty of spotters when Mo climbs on board...she's a wild woman on a trampolene!