Second, this experience happened the way it did because of the people the Lord placed in our path. Their testimonies, examples, and willingness to share helped us receive the answers and have the courage to travel this road previously untraveled. In writing down our experience, I hope to give back. Every single adoption story is different and unique. But there are threads that we share...and I hope that maybe our experience will provide an insight or shed some light on this amazing blessing. Sometimes just knowing that other people had walked the road was enough to strengthen us when we didn't know what to do. There is comfort and strength in our shared experiences.
So here is part 2 of the story. If you would like to read part 1, it can be found HERE!
One July
afternoon, I was flipping through the June 2011 Ensign magazine when I came
across an article that literally stopped me in my tracks. It was entitled
“Defending the Family In a Troubled World” by Elder Bruce D. Porter- and as I
read the inspired words, the Spirit testified very powerfully to me that there
was another child that was supposed to come to our family. I was completely and
totally overwhelmed. I think I even closed the magazine and tossed it across
the room. I felt a surge of conflicting emotions…why had the Lord asked me to
go through a year of accepting that our family was complete only to be told
that it wasn’t? Why did He allow me to become excited about all the prospects
for the future only to feel that those weren’t the prospects that were going to
be presented?
That
afternoon, Hannah attended a birthday party at her friend Spencer’s house…Spencer’s
mom Michelle was one of the friends that I felt complete confidence in
confiding with during this whole experience and so I told her the experience I
had had and how overwhelmed I was at the impression I had received. She shared
with me that the agency they had adopted their 2 daughters through had just
contacted them and told them that the birth mother of their youngest daughter
was expecting another baby…a boy… and wanted to know if they were interested in
adopting him. Michelle said she didn’t feel like this was meant to be their
baby. I looked her in the eye and said, “What if he is supposed to be mine?” I
shared with her the feeling that I had that there was a child missing and that
I felt like this baby was going to be an African American boy. I also shared my
concerns…what did I know about raising a black child? What did I know about
raising an African American boy? How would I know what to do? We talked for a
long time and I left feeling truly uplifted and comforted by the things she
shared with me. If this was the Lord’s will, then we would know what to do. I
needed to have faith.
I called
Chris on the way home and shared with him what Michelle had told me about the
little boy being put up for adoption. We had continued to discuss adoption here
and there…and I had even mentioned that I was open to a trans-racial
adoption…but Chris still had some hesitations and concerns. I didn’t tell him
about the strong impression I had had that afternoon while reading the Ensign
article…I don’t know why. I just needed time to process things. Chris didn’t
say much but agreed we needed to continue to talk about things. When I arrived
home, I went out to get the mail and was completely shocked when I opened the
mailbox. I had received a free subscription to a magazine called “LDS Living”
and the issue I found in my mailbox that day (August 2011) had an African
American man on the cover with the title of the main story called “God GiftedMe My Race” by Keith Hamilton. I honestly could not believe it. I read the
article and was amazed, completely and totally amazed, at how many of my
questions it answered and the peace it brought to the experiences of the day.
It was such an amazing coincidence! The Lord is truly merciful!
All these
thoughts raced around in my head and heart. I finally shared with Chris the
experience I had had reading the Ensign article and how overwhelmed I felt. It
wasn’t that I didn’t want to tell him but I needed to come to some peace and
understanding in my own mind. The feelings were so strong and raw. I found
myself suddenly wanting to move in one direction but feeling prompted to move
in another. I was a little confused and bewildered…and I still didn’t
understand how this was supposed to happen. Hadn’t we tried to do all we could
over the last 5 years? What now?
On the one
hand I yearned for another baby…OUR baby. But on the other hand, I was excited
about the prospects that awaited me personally and our family as we moved
forward. Hannah would be in first grade…I could go back to work part time…we
could travel and do things we hadn’t been able to do while our children were
small…could we go back to diapers and middle of the night feedings…back and
forth, back and forth, back and forth.
Toward the
end of summer 2011, we had a serious discussion one night about what we needed
to do. It is easy to get stuck in the lull of “indecision”. You know you have a
tough choice to make but you put it in the background and avoid making the
choice, hoping it will just resolve itself. I really wanted that…either I would
get pregnant and that would be that or someone would suddenly call and offer us
a child. And we would just go with it. I kind of wanted that. I didn’t want to
have to make the difficult decision…I just wanted it to be made for us and then
we’d go with it. Daily life kept us so busy that it was easy for time to pass.
And yet it was always there. When it was quiet, when I was praying, when I was
reading or studying the scriptures…I knew. And I knew that the Lord needed me to
go through the process of choosing and moving. I needed spiritual confidence
and the only way to gain that was to “do it”. The night we had our serious
discussion Chris said he felt we needed to move both directions and have faith
that as we did, one of the directions would open itself and the other would
close. We needed to demonstrate to the Lord our willingness to continue to work
and pray. We needed spiritual and emotional endurance. Answers aren’t given
just because we ask one time. And we can’t quit just because it takes a
month…or 5 years. I also doubted my ability to really receive and act upon
spiritual/personal revelation. I struggled with what I wanted vs. what was
wanted OF me. I wanted to hear the voice of the Lord but sometimes wondered if
His voice was being shut out by the screaming of my own voice. But Chris’ plan
made perfect sense. We decided to visit a fertility specialist in the area and
to also contact the adoption agency again and see what we needed to do to move
forward.
Interesting
side note…after talking to several friends and researching some things on the
internet, we had decided to use a local adoption agency called “Heart and SoulAdoptions”. I had tried to contact them several times during the summer and
hadn’t had anyone respond to my phone calls. I was discouraged and perplexed.
And those friends who had adopted through them were REALLY surprised. Their
experience contacting and working with them had been wonderful and they were
surprised that I was having difficulty contacting anyone. And yet I persisted.
At one point I did have contact with the woman in charge of adoptive families
and we had a good conversation that led to me printing out all the documents
and paperwork from their website…but all the paper work ended up in a drawer in
my bedroom and never saw much “action”.
Fall of 2011
we made an appointment to see a well-known and respected fertility specialist
in our area. During our first consultation with him, we laid out our thoughts
and feelings about fertility vs. adoption. I shared with him that if the only
means to getting pregnant were in vitro, then I would prefer to adopt…and at
that point he shared his strong opinions against adoption. I have to admit I
was absolutely and completely shocked at what this doctor was saying. We had so
many friends whose beautiful families had come together through adoption. We
had close neighbors and friends whose families bore strong testimony to us of
the Lord’s love for all of his children and the eternal nature of families…no
matter how those families found each other. And here was a “medical
professional” telling me what a terrible mistake adoption was…how we would
never “know what we were getting”…how we were walking into someone else’s mess.
I couldn’t believe his insensitivity and downright ignorance. He ran some blood
tests and we left.
A few days
later we went back to get the results of the tests he had done. They all came
back indicating that things were fine with both Chris and I. During the course
of the discussion, adoption came up again and before the doctor could launch
into his lecture of the horrors of adopting, I told him I needed him to respect
that we had very differing views on the matter and to stop trying to dissuade
us from a decision that was personal between Chris, me and the Lord. The more
he tried to talk us out of it, the more I think we began to feel that adoption
was the right decision for us. At one point during the appointment, after the
doctor had left the room, I began to cry. I felt the presence of our son so
strongly. I knew he was out there. I knew he belonged to our family but I told
Chris I just didn’t know how to get him to our family. How on earth would we
find him?
As we left
the fertility doctor’s office that day, we knew. This was not how our baby was
going to come to our family. Both of us had received that confirmation and
assurance…but now what?
A few weeks
passed. We talked, we thought, and life went on. At the end of September Chris
attended the priesthood session of stake conference and during that session
wrote down a challenge our stake president gave that if each individual would
approach listening to general conference with a question or problem they wanted
answered, that they would receive the inspiration and have their question
answered during conference. We challenged each of our children to have a
question they wanted answered and so Saturday morning before the first session
of the October 2011 conference, as we were sitting in Kneaders eating unlimited
French toast to celebrate Matthew’s 9th birthday, we went around the
table and asked the kids what their question was. At the end I asked Chris what
his question was. He said he wanted a confirmation once and for all that we
were supposed to adopt and how we should proceed. The experience we had that
morning while watching conference would change our lives forever.
To Be Continued....
7 comments:
Ahh! I'm on the edge of my seat. I mean, I know how it all ends but you tell a good story! I remember that talk by Elder Porter very well, one of my favorites.
Don't leave me hanging! So, did you get your baby? !
You have created a new genre: adoption suspense! Can't wait to read the rest of the story. Am so glad it has a happy ending.
You have created a new genre: adoption suspense! Can't wait to read the rest of the story. Am so glad it has a happy ending.
You have created a new genre: adoption suspense! Can't wait to read the rest of the story. Am so glad it has a happy ending.
It's like I've never heard it before. You tell amazing and inspiring stories. Love you!
Abby, btw. That's weird, I'm logged in under my ward YW gamailaccount!
Post a Comment