Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Take a Class: Banning Summertime Boredom, 2016

I was asked if I would present some ideas at a Relief Society activity for things to do this summer...especially in Utah. As I started researching and writing down some of my favorites, I suddenly realized this list wasn't going to fit on a concise, 2-page handout. So I am resurrecting the blog to post some of my favorite ideas and hope if you are here, that you will take a moment and add your favorite places, ideas, etc. in the comments below. There is nothing I love more then a plethora of good ideas to keep the summer happy...especially keeping mommy happy!

I am going to break this into several different blogs just to keep things somewhat organized. Here is my first list...taking a class!

TAKE A CLASS:

1) Swimming lessons (private or at a local rec center)

2) Learn how to sew:



·        3) UVU Continuing Education Classes for Youth and Adults: Huge number of classes in everything under the sun!!! UVU has an amazing theater program for children interested in any aspect of the theater: costume and makeup design, backstage essentials, acting, musical theater, puppetry, etc. Check out their summer catalog or online at:

·        4) BYU Writing Camp

·       5)  BYU Sports Camps

·       6)  BYU Dance Camps

·       7)  BYU Independent Study

·       8)  BYU Continuing Education: Conferences, workshops, classes, symposiums, camps, and more for all ages (youth and adults). Some are online and others take place on BYU campus.

·       9)  BYU Continuing Seminars and Workshops (youth and adult)

·        10) Scera Theater: They offer a HUGE variety of summer classes for adults and children in dance, theater, puppetry, art (pottery, oil painting, animation, drawing, etc), Shakespeare, musical theater, photography, movie making, etc.

·       11)  Thanksgiving Point: They have classes and summer programs for adults and children in a huge variety of areas: fashion design, robotics, gardening, cooking, dinosaurs, art, crafts, etc.

·       12)  Harmons Grocery Store Cooking School: They have amazing cooking classes for youth and adults that teach all types of cooking and recipes.

·       13)  Merit Badge classes: American Fork Recreation Center offers more than 75 merit badge classes in a year-round program to help scouts progress on their journey through the scouting program.  They also offer free classes to help parents understand the advancement process and the eagle paperwork.

·       14)  Michaels Craft classes

·        15) Monte Bean Museum at BYU: Amazing classes for kids of all ages during the summer as well as reptile shows, story times, and other museum adventures.

16) Music Lessons: Piano, guitar, ukelele...try something new. And the open summer schedule allows for more time for practicing!



No comments: