Saturday, September 03, 2005

Reality is Still Stranger Than Fiction

I've been having deep thoughts about my passion for reading but I don't know if I'm articulate enough at writing to give them expression. I'm going to make an attempt because I'm curious as to others thoughts on the subject. I belong to an amazing book group comprised of women who are not only close friends but thoughtful, intelligent, educated, spiritual women. We are as different in life experience and personality as we are close in spirit and heart. Our books and conversations regarding them are always fascinating and uplifting to me. This month we read a book called "Peace Like A River" by Leif Enger. While in general we all liked it, there was some debate about one of the main characters in the book, an 8-year old named Swede. She plays a pretty major role in the entire story and provides vehicle for some of the story's major symbolism and "metaphors". My friend claimed her character was too unbelievable for her, that she had difficulty believing an 8 year old could do, say or think many of things that Swede does in the book. Because Swede is such a central character, it was a real stumbling book for my friend in reading the book and made it difficult to accept the books plausibility. While I agree that Swede was a percocious and unusual character, I began to ponder this idea of reading "fiction".

The simple definition of fiction is that it isn't true. But how interesting that our threshold for suspending disbelief is tapered and limited. My experience and need to accept Swede's role in the novel allowed me to believe that she was capable of all the author gave her to do. But my friend's needs and experiences were so vastly different that she couldn't accept it and found it a distraction. A wise friend said that she was capable of believing almost anything if it is well-written and I have to agree. The author holds the power with the manipulation of words to either sweep me into the story or keep me at a safe distance. What I am able to believe is based so much on the environment created in the book that allows me to suspend my disbelief and give over to my imagination. I do love non-fiction, anything non-fiction. And I adore picture books and fairy tales...most well-written books for children because I remember vividly a world where anything was possible. Within the framework of being written to match a child's perspective and imagination, I can believe anything.

At a different book group last year, there was a disturbing conversation about a fantastic novel called "The Red Tent". Women in the group were horrified that the book was about prophets from the Old Testament and the degrading light they felt was cast on these men. I was really appalled because the book's whole theme was about examining the culture of women from that time period, not the men. AND the book was intended to be FICTION, not doctrine on prophet's from the Old Testament. I felt so sad that people in the group had missed the opportunity to really examine and contemplate the real themes and issues this novel posed, but then again, where the line between fiction and reality gets drawn is so individual and personal. I'd love to talk to every one of you about where your line is and what you love and hate about fiction...about this stuff that is just made up but can touch us all so deeply and personally. And I will always stand by the belief that no one, not the most talented author or articulate writer, could conceive any fiction stranger than the reality around us every day. Don't get so buried in that novel that you miss the strange man on the subway singing broadway tunes!

12 comments:

Megan said...

As far as my "reading life" is concerned there is not really a line between real life and fiction. I suppose I feel this way because I am prone to frequent day dreaming--in which anything can happen.

I think this is why I struggled to see Swede as a completely real character--because to me the book was SO real, and she seemed too good to believe (though at times I just let her be as I read it--it was fun to imagine a young person could be that wise).

The line for me between fiction and reality is based, really, on how well the characters are written. A well written book can be as fantastical as anything (think "Lord of the Rings"), yet if it is written well, I can convince myself that it is real, or possible.

The only time this poses a problem is when a book contains some kind of graphic description of a horrible event--then it becomes too real for me.

I agree with you, though, that real life is often more fantastical than fiction.

Abby said...

Of course real life is better--look at the "Albertsons Diaries!" You can't just dream up characters like "Marcie the Mullet." At least I couldn't. I'm with you, I throroughly enjoyed "The Red Tent" and while I was able to focus on the true theme and not the men issues, I appreciated the suggestion that the prophets of old were human, at least in the eyes of the women they lived with! I think wise children bother me more in movies than in books because in a movie they could also be a bad actor and that just irritates, whereas in books the imagination is more free and accepting.

Carrie Ann said...

I'm surprised that you can love fairy tales and be intimidated by science fiction. I agree with Megan that as long as it is well written and written to be "believable" it doesn't matter how fantasitcal it is. Just for this, I might suggest our reading "Ender's Game" for my book choice! It's totally believeble fantasy, and I really think you would enjoy it!

Unknown said...

I loved both of the books you mentioned. It makes me sad to hear that your friend couldn't get past Swede. She must not know any wise children. If only she knew me when I was 8:) It's interesting that one could accept the miracle of walking on air, and yet stumble over the miracle of a gifted child. In The Red Tent, I was a little annoyed that a prophet of God would be portayed performing beatiality (is that how you spell it??), but I shrugged it off, knowing that if that is not acceptable today in God's standards, then it probably wasn't back then either. I do like Abby's point that the book is written from the women's perspective who lived with them. That right there speaks volumes. I thought it was touching and thought provoking, and a wonderful tribute to women nurturing one another.

I thought you did a wonderful job articulating your thought on this subject. It made me stop and think. I love that I can live so far away, and not have seen you for at least 5 years and yet have a little snippet here and there of your life and your thoughts! I like you, Amy!!

Amy Lynn said...

Hello everyone! I love you too Brittany...I'm going to mosey (?) on over to your profile and plead with the Gods above that you have a blogspot because THAT would be so, so, so much fun! Hello Megan! I'm so glad you are home and not pregnant with a beautiful new baby girl! I can't wait to meet her!

I'm taking back my own statement on science fiction and fantasy because my favorite books in the whole world are Wrinkle in Time (and the 2 sequels), Lord of the Rings Trilogy, The Hobbit, Ender's Game, and the Chronicles of Narnia. Ha! How dumb am I to make a statement about not like fantasy. I love the Harry Potter books and Eragon and the Blue Sword and The Hero and, and, and, and....

Megan articulated it all for me...I don't like poorly written books of any kind. Especially the ones they crank out for kids and/or young adults. I don't like cheesy books with big poorly drawn dragons on the covers. It really is all about how it is written. A good author can make you believe anything. A poor writer can make reality seem like poor fiction. I'm going to revamp my blog statement right now...

Lisa M. said...

Thanks for this post.

I haven't read either book. *smile*

Now, I will.

Oscarson Photography said...

the spam has got to be stopped. i wont be able to take it much longer. Have you ever read one of Michel Ende's books. he's the guy who wrote 'the never ending story'. most of his books are about the world losing its ability to imagine. he has one that is kinda about how industrialization killed peoples ability to imagine and be happy by stealing time (as opposed to saving time like people thought making machines would do). its a quick read, its my favorite childrens book and its on topic. it is hard to find. its out of print so go to the library or amazon.com) i feel like that book articulates my feelings better than i can.

Suzie Petunia said...

Amy, What you MEANT to say was that you don't like STAR TREK.

Well, I'm here to tell you that Battlestar Gallactica is quality entertainment. (And so is Star Trek.)

Oscarson Photography said...

he he he.....

Heather O. said...

In the book groups that I've been involved with, the same problems were brought up about those books. Some people just couldn't get past Swede, and some people just couldn't get past some of the more um, shall we say "earthy" parts of the Red Tent (sadly, the beastiality is actually truth, not fiction. Deal with it, ladies.)

My MIL can't abide fiction--can't stand fantasy, and hates anything that smacks of it, like LOTR and Harry Potter. It's almost like she doesn't want to enter worlds that are completely unlike her own--she prefers fiction (when she reads it) to reflect real life, real issues, like Wallace Stegnar's 'Crossing to Safety' and Willa Cather's 'My Antonia'. Those are books that have characters that could be your next door neighbors (well, except Antonia was a Bohemian, and you don't find those much around these parts!). So for some reason, fictional responses to real life situations are more palatable for her than entering a world that is completely new and wild, like "Ender's Game" (I highly recommend it) and "Dune" (which is also just an absolutey terrific book, and a good introduction into hard core science fiction. Don't read the other Dune books, though, the sequels and the prequels. They just aren't that good. Actually, come to think of it, ditto for the Ender's series.)

Sorry, this is, like, the longest comment EVER!

amy said...

Amy,
I really am enjoying your blog. I started Red Tent in a book club, and just could not get past in my head thinking "now, did this really happen?" And reminding myself that is was FICTION. I just couldn't. Me a fairly comfortable person with the bible and all, I could not let the fiction in the Red Tent override my already preconceived ideas about what life back then was like.

So, I think my line is between where I can keep what is fiction in the fiction world, like science fiction, very easy for me. But books that meld the to together is just to much for me, like the Red Tent.

What brought me to your site was "These is My Words" which is also a fiction that we read in a book club, and a member read the book believing it was a real journal. I thought all that was in that book could have possibly happened, just not to one person. So, I could keep that line clearly difined for myself.

Very interesting, I never thought totally on this line of thinking. Thank-you for opening my mind.

Amy (also my name)

Megan said...

Amy,
I heard recently that when Orson Scott Card wrote a book about gifted children that he got slammed for making them too unbelievable. It was only after that that he got several letters from actual gifted children who thanked him for portraying them accurately.

Whether that is true or not, I am rethinking my attachment to Swede and coming to accept her.

Meg