Monday, August 07, 2006

Skeletons in the Closet

*(Lest I seem a little overzealous in posting blogs this evening, I am merely getting around to taking them out of Microsoft Word and actually posting them. One of the hazards of having 3 computers that don't all do the same things...)

Ladies and gentlemen...I would like to take this opportunity to clean out my closet and get some things out in the open here. I'd like to have a frank, open talk about mental illness. Yes, sanity. Here in the good ole' state of "Everything is perfect" Utah, we seem to have a few hang-ups about what is what and what is NOT what regarding a host of things. Tonight I am choosing mental health. You may choose the topic tomorrow...

There is a difference between "bucking up" and getting on with life and suffering from a dehabilitating, crippling ailment that you can not simply solve by prayer and scripture reading. If a person was suffering from a terrible physical illness, you wouldn't simply pat them on the back and tell them they just needed to pray a little harder and attend a few more church meetings. You would get them to the doctor, get the necessary medications, and nurse them back to health. But why is it that so many times in our culture and society, we view mental illness as a "weakness" instead of a legitimate medical problem? I don't suffer from anxiety because I have committed any great sin or am failing to do something right. I don't pace the floors at night, lose my appetite and think I'm going to die because I'm not strong enough to just "snap out of it". I suffer from a general anxiety disorder that I am grateful does not have to control me. I am strong enough to admit that I need help. I am doing everything right in my life by seeing the people that I know have experience with this disorder, researching what treatments are available, and taking medication based on informed decisions that are right for me and my family. So...

Raise your hand if you are taking your meds every day and feeling better than you have in a long, long time?

Raise your hand if you are grateful for a person who was brave enough to recognize what you were going through and shared with you their struggles and experience so you would know you weren't alone in facing your monsters and you wouldn't feel this way forever?

So it is time to start looking at the people around you in a very different light. It is time to stop feeling like you have to hide your "secret" because someone might find out and think you aren't perfect! Until you have had the panic attack that sends you to the hospital or the depression that wipes out every bright thing in your life, don't judge. Be a lot more sympathetic, a lot more understanding, and a whole lot less critical.

So...does anyone else have a soapbox that needs standing on?

15 comments:

Suzie Petunia said...

AMEN, SISTER! Can you see me raising my hand? Oh, it is raised. Trust me.

Unfortunately Utah is not the only place that lacks a certain non-judgmental kind of understanding.

SP said...

Weren't a lot of the great minds in history prone to depression or some other ailment? I belive so.

However, I have epesodes of who knows what and by no means think it's because of my brilliance (sp?).

S'mee said...

I have no problem with mental illness or the folks who live daily with its' various shades. I do however, have trouble with those who feel they can skip out on meds that have been prescribed to them. Drugs for fun, not good. Drugs to help balance your brain chemicals, good.

Healthy bodies need food. Healthy brains need balance. When one or the other lack- quality of life goes awry. Food fills a hungry belly and sustains physically. Prescibed meds fill a void as well. They are there for a reason. Anyone who stands by and judges is not looking at the situation rationally.

Fear of mental illness comes from lack of knowledge. If we have associations with the mentally ill, all we need do is ask how and what to do to be of assistance if a need arise. The same as if we associate with someone with diabetes or hypertension.

Illness is illness.

Abby said...

The taste of anxiety I have experienced has been invaluable to me in recent months, as I have been able to let someone else lean on me a little. I know her pain is SO REAL. I want her to know how brave she is. She fights so hard when it seems so hopeless. Why is this such a widespread epidemic? Why does this sweet young mother with so much light and love and good intention spend her days fighting a war within herself--her child waiting and watching nearby? How could anyone look at that and think she chooses it, on any level of consciousness? What are their "credencials," or life experiences that leave them with so little understanding?

Oscarson Photography said...

without even being close to having a full complete perspective we can not understand why who gets what, huh. but seeing members in my family suffer, weaken, fight and rebound, or like the commentor above, aid another in their fights (you may NEVER know, abby, what you mean to that family now) gives me an idea as to what happens to us as we try. those i know who work and fight and help so much are the best people in the world.

Unknown said...

It's so exhausting. I wonder why we have to deal with so many physical issues, from infertility to brain tumors, from depression to autism. it is never ending. and so exhausting.

Jared Stubbs said...

Well said. Mental illness is a real physical affliction. In the past few years I have come to know several people who suffer from mental illness (depression etc.) and I have struggled to try and understand it and be understanding. In my new job, on a weekly basis, I am exposed to some serious mental health problems. There is no shame in having a to deal with such an ailment. Unfortunatley there are stygmas that we must all overcome. I know how that feels, many people thing that if you have epilepsy, like I do, that you are handicapped...not so. I think that in the days of yore epliptics were treating by placing them in assylums.

Back to the topic at hand...Has anyone read "The Proffessor and the Mandman, the making of the oxford english dictionary?" It is a fascinating story of how one of the main contributors to said dictionary suffered from severe mental illness, yet was amazingly intellegent.

Anyways, I agree that mental illness is a real ailment and people should get help and there is nothing to be ashamed about. Anyways, I agree with you post Amy.

Jared Stubbs said...

your...not you post...

Emma Jo said...

Woohoo! I have a love/hate relationship with my little pink pill. Sometimes liver failure is worth enjoying life. And just for the record, I think Jared should be in an assylum. :)

Emma Jo said...

...come to think of it, an assylum might be a nice vacation from time to time. I've been so excited for my daughter to start school that I've overlooked the fact that I have to wake up at 7AM EVERY MORNING!
Do assylums serve pizza on Fridays? What kind of cable do they get?

Lisa M. said...

AH! VERY GOOD POST!

I second everything you said!

Jangs said...

I am a little late getting on to the blog...but good post. I am with you. Thanks for putting your good thoughts to print

Lisa M. said...

Are you lost? Is everyone in your family on some kind of hiatus?

GOODNESS!

You need a scolding!

*Grin*

I really do hope you are well!

Julie said...

Great post. I understand the feeling. I suffered a very big battle of depression almost the whole time I was pregnant with #2. It was draining on me and my dear little family, thank goodness for hubbies who are understanding. I then would go through anxiety attacks for a while, the whole time battling the dilema of going to see a professional or not-- yes, because of the stigma. I have come to realize that there really is no "normal" in this world, anyone who says they are normal-- whether they are on meds or not, has just proven they are not normal by so saying....uh, does that make sense? Going through those things makes us realize how very NOT alone we are-- there are so many who hide the same exact challenges in their lives- but want to keep up the image of being "normal". Thank goodness for those who are brave, like you Amy, and show us what we can strive for and how to face our challenges.

Laura said...

I tagged you...