Sunday, June 27, 2010

Adrenaline Rushes

Raise your hand if you have ever been to girl's camp? I suspect there is a fair number of you that have taken this little project on and survived thechallenge. I personally had not been since my Young Women days which are a little further back then I care to calculate. We had the green Boy Scout tents that you drag the board over and lay on the floor, unfold your cot, and sleep with a prayer in your heart that the mosquitoes and ticks won't carry you away or suck all your blood by morning. There was the year they installed the showers in the log building and I felt pretty good about things until I walked in the stall to shower and found a large piece of human feces on the floor. So it is an understatement to say that the idea of going to girl's camp made my blood pressure rise. When I got called to the Young Women's program last year it was with the stipulation that I would get pregnant by June of this year so that I could look at all the pictures and hear all the stories about camp from the safety and comfort of my living room. As is usually the case, God had vastly different plans...and I'm so grateful!

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: Girl's Camp 2010
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Another free picture slideshow by Smilebox
It was fun, it was spiritual, it was silly and filled with wonderful moments. Singing the Beehives to sleep with Cindy and Janette, performing as a muse in our Herculina skit, hiking to the lake, paddling the lake with Missy, talking to the girls and marvelling at their amazing life stories, eating lots of treats, doing tons of crafts, sitting in lots of chairs and at lots of tables as we talked and talked and talked...sleeping on a set-up I like to call my "princess and the pea" bunk, testimony meeting, solo time, personal progress challenge, Walk of Light, bedtime stories, french braids, and on and on. It was a week to discover each other in a new way. It was a week to discover new talents and refine our spirits. We were uplifted, edified, and blessed. I feel so grateful to know and associate with these girls. They are exceptional in every way!

Girl's Camp 2011...I can't wait.

5 comments:

Abby said...

It really is the best way to bond--as scary as it can seem beforehand. Everything is different once you've heard them pass gas!

kelly said...

girls camp is the best. i planned 7 of them!

mo said...

I feel so grateful to see my daughters having the same kind of rich experiences with the YW in their wards as I did once upon a time. It's a nice way of history repeating itself. I can say, yeah, I get what you are saying.

Suzie Petunia said...

I love camp! I hate camp! I guess it is a kind of microcosm for life. But it always ends on a huge spiritual high. I hope that is how my life ends, too!

Beckstrand7 said...

Going tomorrow...can't wait...? I'm glad yours went so well! Wish me luck. :)