Just when you think you have had all the summer happy a person could possibly hope for, more summer happy comes knocking at the door. And when summer happy knocks, I answer.
First came the 4th of July...with a lovely hometown parade, watermelon, homemade rootbeer, and darling kids. Nothing like it. One of my favorite holidays because I can just sit back and be entertained. Perfect.
Next, a Zombie party came to the door. Well, I know better than to be defiant and nasty with a zombie. My sister-in-law, whom we shall call "Queen of the Party", never fails to astound me with her birthday bashes. They are creative, they are fun, and there is ALWAYS a cake that defies description. This year was no exception...
If you have never played the game "Plants Vs. Zombies" where you fight darling zombies with garden vegetables, then you have absolutely missed out...and this cake will make no sense to you.
It was clever AND delicious.
I'm afraid to say there were zombie casualities...nothing is spared in making sure the nieces and nephews are properly entertained.
Where are those garden vegetables when you need them?
So after the zombie games...
the uncles took turns blasting the children with water shot from an authentic World War II fire blaster thingamajig...
and then the candles on the cake were lit with a blow torch. Just your plain, old, ordinary birthday party.
It was a splendid week of cousins, family, and fun. There was hiking...
A little bit of bobsledding...
And a very slow ride down the alpine slide in Park City due to 3 boys who weren't big enough and/or were afraid to push the lever all the way down and created a traffic jam the likes of which I have never seen. It was hilarious and tragic and on my sweet son's second ride down, they actually had to send someone to go find him on the track because they were afraid he was either stuck or had been eaten by a grizzly bear. Nope. He was just puttin' along enjoying the scenery and doing just what the sign told him to do at every turn...BRAKE. And when he brakes, he comes to a full and complete stop. Bless his little heart. Before he would even go down the slide, he read the entire board with all the rules in little print and then proceeded to question the teenage attendant on all the points that were not clear...like what happens if you are going down the slide and there is a moose on the track?
Last weekend, our very kind friends loaned us the keys to their little piece of paradise in Island Park and we spent a delightful weekend in Idaho/Wyoming/Montana. It was peaceful, beautiful, and only one little person threw up one time.
I absolutely insisted that my family stop and explore the Farnsworth TV and Pioneer Museum in Rigby, Idaho. It was everything I hoped for and more. It was small, quaint, fascinating, and filled with interesting little tidbits and gossip from all the surrounding towns. It used to be a hotel that they converted to a museum by putting glass on the wall where the fronts of the rooms used to be and giving all the local towns a room to deck out to their hearts content.
I really did love everything about it...the 2 senior citizen ladies running the show who had lived in Rigby all their lives, the doilies and buggies, the artifacts that represent a piece of so many lives in so many different eras of history...but these 2 were my favorite...
Creepy mannequin man in his underwear offering a bath to my children...one of my innocent children stood and looked at this scene and then announced, "I don't get it. What is this supposed to be?" I was speechless. I didn't know what to say. So we moved on to the next exhibit...
Woman in electric chair...or woman getting her hair permed...or Medusa. She provided several minutes of intense giggling.
Next was a stop in Rexburg, ID...home of Ricks College for us old folks...home of BYU-Idaho for the upcoming generations. The Rexburg temple was beautiful and the city is HUGE compared to what was there several years ago. Chris and I could not get over how much the city had grown...it was unbelievable. Now YOU wouldn't look at this little town and believe it had grown much, but trust me. It is a sprawling metropolis compared to the Wendys, Arctic Circle, and Dominoes Pizza that once dominated the town. It was fun to drive around and visit the ole' "stomping" grounds. I feel quite confident that our children were just as fascinataed as I was when my parents drove me around their college town and told us all the stories of days gone by. The glazed eyes and slack jaws told me they were hanging on every word. No fear...after a brief stay, it was off to Ashby for burgers bigger than my daughter's head...
Big Judd's Restaurant
We spent a fantastic day in Yellowstone...the kids were amazing. They hiked and hiked and hiked and never complained...very much. We saw some amazing things and I was once again in awe of the Lord's artistry and majesty. It never fails to take my breath away.
We watched a young grizzly bear frolic and play in a big, green meadow. It was beautiful!!!
We saw bison, a moose, elk, and an osprey. It was a red letter day for wildlife in Yellowstone! It truly was so magical and beautiful. I never appreciate how starved my soul is for nature until I'm standing at the side of the most frightening, majestic waterfall I have ever seen or watching a bear play in the grass or listening to the bubbling of the earth. It was soothing and wonderful!
A huge thank you to dear friends who loaned us their piece of paradise to borrow and savor. We loved it...I still have my eye on the lamp in the front room.
No fear...we didn't actually let them have the keys. Although it didn't seem to bother them one bit that the things weren't actually moving.
On our way home, we stopped off in Chris' home town to attend his 25th class reunion picnic. We ate sandwiches, took a tour of his high school, and took some souvenir pictures.
As we were leaving town, we pulled over on the side of the road and watched the Blue Angels that were performing at a local air show. It was magnificent!!! I actually get all teary eyed and emotional watching these planes fly. I can't explain it...it is seriously so amazing and beautiful to me. I loved it.
And so summer happy just keeps filling my inner teacup with happy. I'm so grateful for family, friends, and loved ones that just keep filling my life with so much more than I deserve. I am blessed...and deeply grateful.
So may I suggest that if summer happy comes knocking at your door...don't hesitate. Just jump in the car and go have yourselves an adventure with people you love! You won't regret it.
11 comments:
WOW. looks like so much fun! I want to come hang out with you guys, seriously! Summer happy indeed!
Where do I begin to comment? What a summer you are having! What fun! Love the zombie party...who has zombie parties. Only the Carrs. Love the fabulous vacation. What memories! What else is there to say? You guys are amazing!
Wonderful, only you left out the part about when you stopped to visit your only cousin in eastern Idaho while you were passing through...
So fun! I can't wait to see you guys next week. BTW, I think Big Judd's is in the speck of a town called Archer. Isn't your picture on the wall from when we went there as a family several years ago?
I love that J was so careful with his speed and the fine prints on the list of rules!
How many people did the hamburger feed?
Yellowstone is a great place where to feel close to nature!
I love your summer!
Can I be your daughter? Would that be too weird since I'm your sister? Please?! I'll be good and not complain and not ask for stuff (very often) and when I barf I get it in the toilet and everything. Please?
Like Emma ever lets herself barf...
The activities in this post could fill a lifetime. Your family is so lucky and fun!
You shame me in your creative outings-- SHAME me I say!!
I think the face sized burger is hysterical.. (and very, very wrong!) You rock my girl. ROCK.
You guys are seizing this summer with gusto! The kids are getting SO big, but they are hitting a really fun age. They are fun to hang out with and are game to try new things. I just wish I was present for more of your summer adventures!
You saw a grizzly?! That was the one thing we wanted to see, but eluded us at Yellowstone. It is so crazy to see pictures of you and the kids standing in the exact spots where we just were in Yellowstone! How fun! I felt the same about the impressive, terrifying waterfall. (Was it the Upper Falls at the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone?) I think it was my favorite thing we saw.
Zombie party. Awesome!
What a fun summer!!!
I LOVE that neck of the woods! My mom used to vaca in Island Park as a kid and now my aunt and uncle have a cabin over there. It's always the HIGHLIGHT of our trip. We love West Yellowstone, the park, and a little museum up that way dedicated to an earthquake/landslide - may I recommend. And next time, I make sure we stop in Rigby at the pioneer museum. How have we missed that??! Too awesome - thanks for the fabulous pics.
And my children would trade me for you any day.
Post a Comment