Monday, January 17, 2011

What Mormons and Disneyland Have In Common

Remember how our family visited the new Mormon Battalion Visitor's Center in San Diego at Thanksgiving time and I told you how I was absolutely astounded that the church now had their very own "Disneyland"-esque ride that rivaled Pirates of the Caribbean? Remember that? (If you need a refresher with some visual images go visit here.)

Well the fun just goes on and on and on.

Today we had Stake Conference. It was wonderful and uplifting but really did not have much to do with Disneyland. Before we left for church this morning, the power went out. And when we arrived home, the power was still out. We had been trying to sit still for a very long time and the idea of trying to entertain ourselves in a home with no electricity seemed too daunting for my feeble mind so I proposed a field trip to the Church History Museum in SLC. It had been a long, long time since we had been there and I had seen on the news this week that they had opened a new children's exhibit. So with a bag of pretzels and chocolate covered pomegranates, we were off.

We arrived at the museum and received an absolutely delightful,  interesting, very kid friendly tour from "Cindy", a docent at the museum who used to be an elementary school teacher. She gave our family a private tour through the church history portion of the museum that really was wonderful! She hit the highlights, kept the pace brisk, told great stories, pointed out fascinating objects, and kept the children engaged and entertained. It was wonderful! I want her to be our "nanny/tour guide" every time we go to a museum.

The boys trying out the "family bunk" aboard the 1800's immigration ship. And I thought it was bad when they all climbed in bed with me now...

Looking at the big ship...the docent told us that when the museum opened the boxes containing all the little model figurines they had ordered to put on this model ship, they discovered they were all bar floozies and drunken sailors. The art department immediately went to work painting the dancing girls into pioneers.



Our little pioneer children measuring themselves against the wheel of a covered wagon. MC was starting to feel as sulky as he looks...it was toward the end of the tour and he was losing his patience.
 After our tour of the main floor, she took us upstairs and turned us loose in the new children's exhibit. And it was just like Disneyland all over again. Really. We have SUCH a cool church with extremely clever, creative, inspired people all over the place. After playing/dancing/throwing/listening/eating plastic food/collecting plastic eggs from stuffed chickens/playing computer games/fishing from Nephi's boat/helping Moroni with the golden plates/building the temple in Bountiful/etc., I've decided I'm going to increase my tithing donations. There definitely is no bigger bang for your buck! (Was that too irreverent?)


HB pulling vegetables in the garden to serve the missionaries that came to dinner.

MC with his Bountiful temple that he constructed.

Chris and JC trying to lift the golden plates. They were really heavy...and poor Joseph Smith was carrying these while being chased by very angry people.

More fervent preparations in the kitchen for dinner with the missionaries.

Oh, the dancing. It was my FAVORITE! I could've stayed at this station all day if there weren't other patrons patiently waiting their turn. You better believe I'm going to get myself one of those fabulous skirts...






MC playing some of the fun computer games...

HB helping Mormon adbridge the golden plates...

and JC and I mixing a little Andean primary music.

We also stopped to see the amazing...no, breath taking...nativity set that my parents just purchased in Sweden. They were able to contact the artist and have their very own set made. It is beautiful!!!!

And before we left, Chris and the kids delivered deep sermons from the conference center pulpit.

Finally the dinner for the missionaries was ready. It was quite a feast!
On a less irreverent note...stake conference this week focused on families and the blessings of the temple. We heard some excellent talks and I truly am leaving this weekend even more determined to be a better wife and mother. I am so grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ. I am so grateful for His love, guidance, example, and the joy He shares that is truly deep and life changing. I love my wonderful husband. He is a gentle, patient, strong, faithful man who blesses my life every day in so many different ways. He is also an incredible father...right now he is outside the bedroom door doing an impromptu shadow show on the wall with our daughter. I am grateful for my children. They are amazing! They are sweet, strong, smart wonderful people and I love being their mother.

The church history museum was a wonderful way to spend a Sunday afternoon together. I love having experiences together as a family...adventures and exploring and being together create deep memories that bind you together in a way nothing else can.

Hooray for the gospel of Jesus Christ...hooray for families...and hooray for wonderful memories!!!




8 comments:

jane said...

Wow, In our primary class we always talk about how we are going to make a "LDS disneyland". I am going to drag my family down there Sat. Love the dancing :) yay for tithing!!!
Love,
Jane

Emma Jo said...

I seriously didn't know that Stake Conference day could be so fun. And I'm sorry, you were able to LISTEN to stake conference talks? I'm confused. I thought that didn't happen until the kids were all grown and the dog died.
I wanna go to there.

Abby said...

Um, that is AWESOME. Why didn't we do that?!
I laughed out loud at the missionary dinner picture. I can tell HB really put effort in and is proud. Cute little future Mormon homemaker!

mo said...

Okay Wow! That was an awsesome post and I loved your experience at the museum. I didn't even know it was open on Sundays! What a great idea even when the electricity is on! I am also feeling such gratitude that my children, their spouses, and my grandchildren are such good and amazing people. Thanks for being you. Thanks for the joy you bring us. Keep up the outstanding work!!!

jenlivi said...

Ummm, I had no idea all of those amazing things were there!! Our primary went and just did the tour (the tour was fabulous too btw). We are definitely going and maybe we won't even wait for the power to go out again

Suzie Petunia said...

We went there with our kids and Giles grandparents when we visited last summer. It was the old exhibit, but it was fun, too! We spent a couple of hours in the kids' exhibit, and the kids would have been happy to stay even longer. It was kind of magical to see them be so entertained for so long with educational/church stuff. :) Now I want to go back!

Paul said...

What a great family...and what great family fun. Your kids are lucky to have parents that provide such great experiences. Mom and I are kindof missionaries. Can we come to dinner?!

CayLynne said...

What fun! I am pretty sure Chellae has one of those skirts. Maybe you could borrow it.