Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Easter 2012

We are in the glorious throes of spring break...because we have a 3 month old who still struggles to grasp the art of nighttime sleeping, we opted for a "staycation". Chris has taken some days off and each member of the family was assigned one day of the week where they get to plan the day's activities...so far we have had a wonderful time and I promise to share all the frolicking when I have more time. For now...I would like to show off my darling children in all their Easter glory!

The kids all woke up early to see if the Easter bunny had managed to find his way into the house...of all the things to be afraid of as a child, why doesn't the thought of a great big bunny breaking into your house frighten more children? Maybe it's just how I picture the big bunny...a bad bunny costume with a mask that looks like the Joker from Batman. I don't know why. But I have digressed...

Due to the early hour, we decided to postpone waking Chris up since he had been awake late with the baby and also had a terrible cold. So we sat in the family room and the kids took turn reading Easter books to Spencer. It was lovely!


Finally when they could not wait another second, we woke Chris up and went to see what the Bunny had left. Of course he had taken their Easter baskets and hidden them and left a treasure hunt of clues for them to follow. Each clue required them to read one part of the Easter story as found in the New Testament scripture reader for kids...Clue #1 was all about the Last Supper and the Sacrament...their next clue was hanging with one of Jake's white church shirts and talked about how he is preparing to receive the priesthood and pass the sacrament. Clue #2 was the Atonement and we read the story while sitting in our living room looking at my favorite painting in the whole world done by Carl Bloch of the Savior being comforted in Gethsemane by an angel. You get the idea...I have always struggled to reconcile the Easter baskets with celebrating the true meaning of Easter and this was a beautiful marriage of the two! I truly felt the Spirit as we took the time to read about all the events leading up to the Savior's resurrection and loved sharing that time as a family. It is definitely a tradition we will continue!




Once we found the baskets, Chris and I spent the rest of the morning trying to bring our children down from their sugar highs. Next year I am going to be as brilliant as my sister Abby and go with organic, bunny themed healthy snacks. She was an absolute genius...




Next it was time to get dressed for church. I can't help looking at boys in crisp, plaid shirts and girls in darling pink dresses with ruffle socks without missing my Grandma Oscarson and Aunt Boo so badly that my heart hurts a little. I know they are loving on my children from beyond the veil...I just would have loved one more Easter egg hunt at Devondale Lane and showing off my beautiful children to my Grandma. I know she loves them so...














Because our children get themselves ready at various speeds, we didn't get a picture of the 4 of them together BEFORE church and then after church they were out of their clothes and into something "more comfortable" before we could snap a shot. We will try again next Sunday to get one of them altogether...stinkers.

That afternoon we headed down to Provo for a delicious Easter dinner with Chip and ML's family. We were so excited that our nephew/cousin Jeffrey came along...and we got to meet a colleague of Chip's. It was a perfect evening. Dinner under the pergola, amazing food, fantastic company, family, stories, warm balmy weather...it is what I hope paradise is!

ML and Spencer bonding under the pergola! She is so sweet with him...I have a feeling he is going to have a very special relationship with his beautiful aunt!

Easter dinner in the garden. ML made an amazing lamb stew...it was the first time some of us had eaten lamb and it was delicious...although Jacob admitted he had a hard time getting past imagining how cute and furry little lambs are while he was eating.

The "kids" table.

Teo's table...I've never seen him IN the playhouse...just on top!

Spencer loves family gatherings where he never has to be put down!

My sweet baby boy.


I made a carrot cake decorated with neon Peeps...nothing says "Easter" like a  neon Peep.

Jeffrey bonding with Spencer.

Chip bonding with Spencer and Spencer looking rather startled...



I love the Easter holiday and all it represents. I love the opportunity to celebrate the Atonement and resurrection of my Savior Jesus Christ. I love celebrating spring and new beginnings. I love the promise of warmer days to come and the brilliance of the tulips and daffodills in my front yard. I love watching the world around me recover the harshness of winter with such grace and beauty. I love the symbolism in that...Easter represents to me recovery from sin and rescue from death. We survive the harshness and emerge refined and beautiful because of our Savior and the things He has done for us.

Hope your Easter was beautiful and bright!





3 comments:

Emma Jo said...

So darling it makes my teeth hurt...

Abby said...

Love it all! Love those cute Easter-clad kids. Love that you called me a genius, not gonna lie. My favorite it how Spencer is snuggling Matthew in that picture where they are looking for Easter baskets. And Hannah's dress! The whole package--adorable.

Suzie Petunia said...

I love all of the pictures. And i adore each of you!